goldenswimmers

New gang recruit....

Since the ranchu collection is going nuts with making babies...I thought I'd look at getting back into all the goldies I use to breed/keep etc (and hopefully add a few too!)....and so here is my first gang recruit for the new ryukin tribe...I lost my entire previous ryukin collection (bar one which I sold a few days before) to a crow gang attack(whilst moving house and a BIG lesson learnt)

This is a nice male with an excellent hump showing and beautiful strong red and white colouring..he even has a bit of lippy going on to make him that much more sexier....so hope he becomes one of the studs in the new ryukin group

post-2649-14711625793146_thumb.jpg

post-2649-14711625793736_thumb.jpg

post-2649-14711625794276_thumb.jpg

post-2649-14711625794781_thumb.jpg

post-2649-1471162579537_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldenswimmers

Good luck mate, that guy looks awesome, can I just ask, how do you tell the sex of a goldie, like, how do you know this guy is a male?

thanks yoda,If you have a look at pics 4 and 5(4 might be the best)you can see what looks like white dots/pimples on the gill covers...they also appear on the front lining of the front fins(bit hard to see in the pics)...might try to grab some better pics and see if I can show it a bit better

Ooh I have one like that! I bought it as a feeder but thought it was too pretty.

yeah Pandora...its something you can do if you get an eye for it....spot ryukins amongst standard fantails(some of which get used for feeders)...sometimes some good goldies get lost in the mix when they are young...Ive found beautiful ryukins(young guys) amongst common fantails on a few occasions and some of these guys grow out to be better than the "ryukins" that are sold for much more......I reckon having a good eye for quality fish(regardless of goldies and especially if you can spot em when they are young)can get you some beautiful fish ;)

Kewl, thanks, and does that apply to all goldies or just some?

yeah mate all male goldies regardless of variety will show these white bumps...some are more obvious than others...I've also noticed with the headgrowth(wen) guys that you'll mainly see it along the edge of the front fins...the gill covers having the headgrowth on it cover the tubercles...females generally get a little "plumper" and also when eggs have built up they'll be a bit larger on one side of the stomach..best seen from above...

yeah mate with your location definitely....and if you got the room...or you could even try some big ranchu or oranda..if you want something different in the pond...these guys can get pretty big if kept outside and if good fish are selected...

They sound great, well, if you're ever coming down this way, let me know, sounds like you's got's the goods!