frinkie

Are goldfish ok for ponds?

Srsly

I was in a shop the other day and I overheard the sales assistant telling a person that he couldn't have goldfish in his pond because they wern't suited to it because ponds are to hard to regulate temperature.

I'm always happy when customers want to put goldfish in ponds, beats the hell out of the 90% that want to put them in a bowl!

thoughts?

Well considering you see them living happily in local creeks and dams from careless owners deciding to "set them free", I would imagine there would be no issues with them living in ponds.

No issue whatsoever, in fact, they're better suited to ponds. They can withstand a higher range of temps and ph than generally acknowledged although some of the fancy species are less hardy. In the Uk you can lose them through cold, here you can lose them through heat................not heat directly but the manner in which heat can de-oxygente the pond, particularly at night if heavily planted. I lost 3 the other night (first I've ever lost) and I know it's my own fault because I haven't culled the bacopa and elodea for a while................high temps and heavy planting don't mix.

I don't see the problem. I even have BN in my pond they are loving it. (Thanks Sparky124578)

Will make some sort of cover for it for winter or I'll take the BN out during the cooler months.

=)

From what I've seen the old goldfish takes a bit of punishment. I'm told that a high temp water shortens their life but with some shade over the pond for the warmer months, they'd go alright.

they love the ponds...they are pond fish...even the fancies weren't created in an aquarium...all the imports you get here from anywhere in asia have all bred,grown out and raised in ponds...as kev said..its the temps you have to deal with....I breed all my guys outdoors and my fish love it...heat does worry me..but i havent lost a guy yet(only young fry if I dont keep an eye on them..usually culls I keep for feeders)...the most recent heatwave..i just chucked a double folded sheet over my ponds(held up by the plastic netting I use)...and I dont fill my ponds up all the way...so I can "top off" if I need to with some nice fresh cooler water(slowly poured into outlet to distribute evenly)...I think if you do your pond right(no fish is going to enjoy a pond in the blazing sun with no cover)..the depth and cover helps them find places to stay cool...other thing I do is try to keep the filtration area of the pond(where your filter outlet is) the coolest..it has the most water movement and this is where evaporation and temps can rise the most...

post-2649-14711625807609_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldenswimmers
chuck in a piccy