krizogg

8ft Natives/cichlids tank video

Here's a poor quality video of my 8ft, it houses a Saratoga, Barramundi, Sleepy Cod, Eel tail catfish, Red Scats, Short Finned Freshwater Eel, Comm Pleco, Albino Oscar, Peacock Bass, Polleni. bit of a weird mix, my Saratoga is my pride and joy, he was only around 7cm when i bought him less than 2 years ago, he has since cost me a 6ft, and now an 8 and is approx 40cm. I was thinking of adding a few more natives, perhaps an Archer and some Salmon tail catfish, or do I have enough fish in there already? And if anyone can make out my big Red Scat is it supposed to look like that?

[yt:spavkezi]vPUWuo46zo8[/yt:spavkezi]

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris. I didn't make this one, it's latex and came with the tank. I'll post some pics of the ones I have made some time. I've got some cheap I think it's a Sun Sun 2600 or 2800lph external, I'm sure it doesn't do that but it's not bad, it's so big it does'nt fit under any cabinet, I bought it on ebay, though I can't find it for sale anymore. And a 1800lph internal. The tank came with a 3ft sump I really need to set up, and will soon. Hoping to get some nice fish at the auction.

Here's an updated video of my tank, bit better quality but still poor, I filmed this on my lg viewty. Have added some jack dempseys and some green terrors, my big pleco poses a bit for the camera as well. Have also upgraded to a Fluval fx5. My aquascaping is to the mercy of my Oscar, he decides where everything goes!

Could anyone confirm the sexes of my jacks and green terrors please?

I'm pretty sure I've got 1xmale jack and 2 x females? And 2x males for the green terrors?

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I believe all of your Jack Dempseys are male. Females generally have a heavy beard of blue specs on their face, under the eyes, and around the base of the gillplate - here's a good example from google.

IMG_3853Large.jpg

As for your Gold Saums, I think your original one is definitely male, but I'm not 100% sure on the sex of the one you picked up from Darren.

Cheers, Japes. Yeah it's probably real hard to see with my poor quality video, the first 2 jacks that come up really resemble the female picture, especially when they colour up, where as the last one, thats hiding can go almost full black with spots all the way down the body, quite striking, maybe he's just the dominant male.

Would be great if I end up with a Green terror pair, but I guess time will tell. Thanks for the help.