dave

Project New stand and tanks

Here is a couple of photos of my latest project which is the construction of a stand to house my new 7 x 3 x 2 custom tank and my existing 6 x 1 1/2 x 2.

I wanted both tanks on the one stand that runs the full length of the garage with sumps for both tamks built in to the stand and the entire stand to look like a modern piece of furniture.

The stand is 4.2 metres lond 1 metre wide and 1 metre tall. I have used 90mm x 45mm structural pine for the project and have doubled up on the areas that have fairly long spans such as the sumps whish are 1.2 metres and 1 metre respectively.

I'm no carpenter but everything was built in one saturday and at the moment is all level and square .

Black 2pac kitchen panels have been ordered to cover everything and doors to access both sumps as well.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Looks the goods, just remember that the stand will basically need to carry a small car with the weight of the tanks your putting on it. With where the sumps need to fit most people with prebuilt stands just remove that stud/support instal the sump then replace it. It may pay to just put a support in the middle of those lengths and have the doors closing in the middle to the support. What you got planned for the outside?

Black 2pac kitchen panels have been ordered to cover everything and doors to access both sumps as well.

I think that the fact that i doubled up the rails and the supports either side of the sumps should ensure that the weight is spread sufficiently around all the edges of the stand and the amount of pressure in that one particular area won't be a problem. The stands i see for 4 x 2 x 2 tanks quite often span that area without support let alone all the extra bracing i have elsewhere.

That is my only worry though!

Dave

Lookin fantastic Dave.

That will support your tanks just fine.

Only different thing i would have done would have been to make 2 seperate cabinets that bolted together and then clad the cabinet so in the future it could have been dismantled into 2 pieces incase you ever had to move it or sell it.

great looking mate cant wait to see the finished project , i made a stand from timber and went the full lenght of a 4 foot with no support held just fine. with your double support should be fine, i still preffer steel though lol but i am a fitter not a carpenter.

looking good so far!

you wont have any problems with the way that you have put it all together,and with the extra bracing part for the 'longer span' areas definetly adds strength.

ive seen a couple of 8 foot tanks that are suspended from only the ends, you can almost get your finger in between the tank and the stand in the middle, and they have been like that for many many years without any problems...

good work, keen to see some more pics too

paul

looking good so far!

you wont have any problems with the way that you have put it all together,and with the extra bracing part for the 'longer span' areas definetly adds strength.

ive seen a couple of 8 foot tanks that are suspended from only the ends, you can almost get your finger in between the tank and the stand in the middle, and they have been like that for many many years without any problems...

good work, keen to see some more pics too

paul

:esup: woah hell no not in MY loungeroom hahahahahaha :lol:

one in particular has been like that for about 6 years and no problems, as long as the tank sits level that is,

i know i would rather have a tank suspended by the ends rather than the middle being slightly higher than the ends thats for sure,

OK

My tank stand is complete and my new custom tank is to be picked up next week.

I was happy with the way it has turned out and have full access to both sumps for maintenance. I will plumb tanks once they are in position and post some more photos for those who are interested.

Dave

I tried various types of hidden hinges and none seemed to work properly, too much movement up and down, I know now that i should have had the doors rebated to suit kitchen type hinges but i'm still happy with the way it turned out.

:P

beautiful job mate well done

Thanks Chris.

Very nice dave, the 2pac panels woulda been exxy, are those piano hinges you ended up going with? The tanks gonna look great on that stand :)

Yeah the price of the panels was nasty but it's hopefully gonna be worth it when all is finished.

One more week till i pick up the custom tank and i'm getting antsy now.

Will post pics once tanks are up and running.

Dave