Matmatmat

Good or bad idea?

We scored a really odd size tank 4ft long x 3.5ft high x 1ft wide.. Have set it up outside in a sheltered area where it will get light but not too much direct sun..to grow some plants in. Would gold fish be a good idea? Or would they just eat the plants? I have other fish I could put in, I just haven't had goldys in a year or so and have the itch but am unsure as to weather it would work? I'm assuming it could only be comets? As there will be no chiller involved.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers Mat

Hey Mat...your pretty open with fish you can use...just make sure they are shaded or you can shade/cover during those hotter days..I keep alot of guys outside and have never lost a fish..but I always shade if I know its going to a real hot one....with wood(masonite,etc)...and I never fill the tanks/ponds all the way up so i have the option to add some cooler water if necessary....comets will get pretty big and might not enjoy the lack of turning room (these guys can easily & commonly top a foot) so maybe go some guys that are a bit smaller....for smaller guys I'd go black thai ranchus(these guys dont get as big generally as most ranchu and grow slower) or some nice crown pearscales/pearscales....orandas and fantails can get on the big side a bit so might want to steer clear as well....really depends on genetics alot.....ryukins might be ok too...plants wise..if you feed them right they dont hammer things as hard as is assumed...I know some aquascapers who have them in their great tanks(with mixed plants) and have no problems.....

They will eat ALL the plants, all of them, you will have no plants left, like, no plants.

is this from experience or heresay....if fed right I know people that keep all sorts of plants with goldies(these guys aquascape so they prefer the plants to the fish!!!)....I myself know of a few plants(I use them to catch eggs during spawning) that they just will not go even near...so I'd have to disagree.....

Thanks for the advice! I have seen Di from ALs planted tanks with fancy gold fish and she was of the same opinion, and yeah we chose the location of the tank with ease of covering in mind. Black Thai ranchu huh.. Google here I come! Thanks again!

Nice work Mat...im proud to say most of Dis fish have come from my breeding efforts...thats one of the "aquascapers" I was thinking of...also to put you at ease a bit(obviously do your best to keep the temps down!!!)..these guys are from Thailand.... and last i checked its gets a little warm there too. :) ..and most of the small ranchu breeding farms there have no chiller or temp control other than good shade and good water changes... ;) good luck mate...chuck some bannana lillies in too if you want a bit of sex appeal ha ha..it looks great when they float on top and have a "hanging" effect in the water..sure the fish dig it too ;)

They will eat ALL the plants, all of them, you will have no plants left, like, no plants.

Load of bollox. If they're well fed, they won't touch the plants and if they do, you put elodea in to steer 'em from the other plants..............they'll go for elodea every time in preference to anything else, and they won't touch bacopa if you starved 'em.

Load of bollox. If they're well fed, they won't touch the plants and if they do, you put elodea in to steer 'em from the other plants..............they'll go for elodea every time in preference to anything else, and they won't touch bacopa if you starved 'em.

Gold fish will still eat it but not very offen.

is this from experience or heresay....if fed right I know people that keep all sorts of plants with goldies(these guys aquascape so they prefer the plants to the fish!!!)....I myself know of a few plants(I use them to catch eggs during spawning) that they just will not go even near...so I'd have to disagree.....

It is from XP, I'll admit I have only ever had commets and maybe a black moore but I have never been able to have plants with them, it aggrevated me to the extreme, are there some species they won't eat?