mclovin

Synodontis Multipunctata (cukoo catfish) host colony suggestion

am pretty keen on getting some cukoo cats but am curious on a host colony. i have heard that blue fish such as dolphins and peakocks are a good host along with most protomelas. i have also read that anything that breeds like rabbits is good.

i would rather use a colony which i already have ( too many fish atm haha)

if i was to use my venustus colony or lombardoi. would these fish be just as successful as other types?

cheers in advance, murray

they sure do

thats why I rotate my cuckoo horde between tanks.

heh heh

apparently the cukoos (adults) eat the cichlids eggs and any left, the cukoo babies hatch earlier and then eat the remaining cichlid eggs. ive also heard that if you swap the male over, he doesnt know what to do with him self because he has lots of females. less likely to catch on. have you tried this in your experience? thanks, murray

i would rather use a colony which i already have ( too many fish atm haha)

if i was to use my venustus colony or lombardoi. would these fish be just as successful as other types?

cheers in advance, murray

I wouldn't use lombardi as a host because lombardi is very aggressive when they breed and not recommended to use aggressive cichlids as a host.

Other good host is blue dolphin

I had no luck with lombardoi when I tried using them and the lombardoi were breeding like rats.

I use peacocks which works...... when I actually have any tanks to put fry into.

lol full up now

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrg!

yeah most mbuna are quite aggressive ive noticed, im leaning towards venustus and im getting a colony of dolphins in the near future so ill swap them between. having too many fry is a good enough excuse to get more tanks hahaha.

one more question, when the cukoo cats deposit their eggs, as a result of the cichlids eggs generally being eaten by adult cukoos or baby cukoos, are cichlid fry common?

cheers, murray

As mentioned teh cichlids catch on pretty quick, my current hosts yellow tail acei, know to spawn on a rock etc, the cuckoos wont go there, havent had a cuckoo egg in a mouthfull for a while now, crap loads of unwanted acei but lol, started off pretty good.

Blue dolphins were pretty good hosts

Venustus were the best host so far, but he got to big and he openly attacked the cuckoos at every opertunity..

I have a colony of simochromis on their way to be my new host colony

Strip 2-3 days after they spawn, or the cuckoos may start to eat each other,

Once you have a good host colony you can strip and feed the eggs to the cuckoos, (not every mouthfull will have cuckoo eggs.)

They grow ubber fast up to 2cm, then a quality pellet works a treat, (NLS grow1mm)

Once you strip the cichlid look very carefully for the cuckoo eggs they are clear, with a slight yellow yolk in them, about 2-3mm round.

Good luck they are crazy to watch...poor chiclids lol

thanks for everyones input, i will swap them between a venustus colony, dolphin colony and possibly a white knight or hongi colony. will eventually find out which works the best. will have spair males to rotate also.

cheers, murray