Lasher

Black fuzz has infected all plants

Over the past month I have developed this problem in my community tank: black hairy stuff growing on the leaf edges (and filter outlet). It doesn't seem to be causing a problem but it is spreading and is starting to look ugly (see attached).

1. What is it?
  2. Is there something I can do about it?
  3. Should I be worried?
  4. How would I get rid of it?

Thanks!

post-5764-14711625815124_thumb.jpg

post-5764-14711625815425_thumb.jpg

post-5764-14711625815652_thumb.jpg

Over the past month I have developed this problem in my community tank: black hairy stuff growing on the leaf edges (and filter outlet). It doesn't seem to be causing a problem but it is spreading and is starting to look ugly (see attached).

1. What is it?
  2. Is there something I can do about it?
  3. Should I be worried?
  4. How would I get rid of it?

Thanks!

Yep - as Vegas said Black beard algae, and it is a bitch to control as it is not edible to most algae eating fish. The most common fish you can get to control it is the true SAE - Siamese algae Eater.

It does indicate that things are out of balance in terms of light, fertiliser and CO2 and can be controled by fixing them - that is painful - SAE's are easier.

I had it before Xmas, test your phosphate, gets some Phosphate remover and dose also buy some Seachem Florish Excell and triple the dosage, the algae will turn red then melt.

( search under BBA black beard alage ) on the forum for more details.

Phil

Don't waste money on flourish Excel or any other stuff. Yes look into the cause of what is creating the black beard algae for future reference but to treat right now just turn off filters and flow and spot dose with syringe with six.percent hydrogen peroxide. I think it is like one ml per two litres of aquarium.water dosing just make sur as I.am on my phone and with limited to no net access for past three days ... You will need to leave filters off for ten to fifteen minutes after dosing then turn all back on and your all good. Remember to keep dosing another say three days time and so forth until removed fully. Keep note of water quality as the algae dies too

By any means it is not a waste good to use in any circumstance especially daily dosing which should be happening anyway :) I use it daily. But I just meant it can be better solved using a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (if you have it laying around the house and most people seem to do so) as then the method of fixing the algae is free, and a lot quicker and can get the job done better.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Does not work for me either just get ^

maybe you are not using the left mouse button to click on it?

I tried left and right mouse buttons, same result.

Edited by discusgc