big_gamm

Mangrove jack

Hey guys I was wondering wat category would a fresh mangrove jack be under it has been turned into a fresh water one would it be counted as a native?

yeah its still native freshwater, brackish or full salt dont matter. what you mean turned into fresh? is it wild caught saltwater and converted to fresh? they colour better in brackish to full salt as they grow. how big? :)

not sure what you are asking here mate?

Jacks are native - Yes

Jacks live in freshwater - yes BUT, you will find them in saltwater swell & we have caught some monsters way up the coomera river & off peal island in the bay.

What is it you would like to know?

why do people convert jacks from fresh from salt?

just wondering cause i know the big mommas (and daddy) jacks go from the estuarys out to the reefs when they get larger enough, so wouldnt it be better to keep a mature jack in salt water?

Sorry for hijacking your thread too big gamm

Cav

They are happier in at least brackish. I guess I'm unsure about what's hard to keep the in salt water? All you need to do is mix the salt. You don't need all the bells and whistles that a reef tank needs. Don't even need a skimmer when you water change regularly. So really all it is a freshwater tank filled with saltwater.

Nope :) Just the stuff that you would need for your freshwater, heater and filter etc, but you fill the tank with pre-mixed salt. Or conversely you could buy the seawater, but mixing it yourself at home means less jugs or getting it trucked it. For a jack you don't need super premium salt formulated for reef corals, just regular inexpensive marine salts. I still recommend mixing it in a wheelie bin or something with a powerhead over night. Test it with one of those $10 bobber type hydrometers to make sure its not super salty and then you can pump it straight into the tank with the powerhead and some hosing after you have done your water change. Good luck!

Never said anything about DIY, given the requirements I was just stating that pure rock salt will work, op never stated the size of the tank so given a jacks growing size and tank requirements I would assume it's a large tank. If your doing 10-20% waterchanges weekly or fortnightly could be a couple hundred litres, that's adds up at $10 for say 300l, that could be anywhere up to $500 a year depending on size and frequency of water changes