bristlenosejohn

A new way to get fisho's interested in catching talapia

gday guys and girls I was put onto this and thought it was a great idea to spread around and hopefully get more fisho's keen on catching these little blighters

How to Cook Tilapia - Baked Tilapia Recipe

I was informed that they are very tastey and if we can get every one hooked (including the trawlers) then they could do all the hard work and then leave the other great natives alone..

Enjoy

"It is unlawful to possess noxious fish alive or dead or to use them as bait".......... i guess that would include fishcakes yeah ? :lol: i do see them targeted by some and taken for eating (at the stocked impoundment dams). truth be told if they were given a classification like "can be taken as food fish but must be dead" i would suggest more may try eating em ;) yeah i know about the " oh babys in there mouth might survive" statements made by some but i have allways wondered how talented mama bear tilapia would need to be to have a mouthfull, take a bait and thrash about whilst being reeled in and still contain fry in her gob :lol:

Talapia are one of the most commonly used fish for aquaponics the world over (everywhere but here).

They are suitable for all the same reasons they are a noxious pest. They adapt easily to varying water conditions, including poor and overcrowded bodies of water, grow relatively quickly and are easy to breed. People are farming and eating them all over the world so they must taste ok.

Really really popular in the states for aquaponics and asia wide for table food, apparently not a bad feed - certainly nothing special but it's all about budget.

As stated above it's illegal to keep them in Aus even for food.

The idea behind it has merit but in the end it doesn't help anyone IMO.. enforce a no release strategy and let people eat them but it's too late for that as everyone thinks of them as a dirty fish because of our laws.