I just discovered the one of My Oscar has HITH!! I thought they were battle scar but then I looked closer...:(

I was reading it can be treated using aquarium salt and 20% WC daily. Is this a good treatment?

I am not even sure how He/She even got it?

Lives in a 8x2.5x2.5. I do 20% WC fortnightly.

Nitrates are always barelly detectable.

Tank is sumped, which contain 12L of Matrix, Load of Bio balls and Jap mat.

Sump Pump is 6000 LPH I think.

Tank has been running since May last year

Feed on Hikari Cichlid Gold(red bad)

Ocassionally Frozen Cichlid Dinner(forgot the brand)

Does anyone have any advise?

Edited by Dexter
Highlighted Some inportant parts

You mean twice a week on the 8foot? Are you crazy? LOL

I have swapped Him and its Spawning partner into my 4 and my Juvi Toga and Bass into the 8 foot so I can treat Him. I figured I better treat his friend just incase they both have it.

I will be doing 20% WC on the 4foot and topping up with Aquarium Salt. Hopefully this will fix him up.

add more diversity to its diet. cichlid gold is a very basic food and should not be used as the main portion of a large cichlids diet. if it was me i would add cichlid excel and biogold to its diet aswell as nls thera A. the addition of garlic to the diet helps ward off these flagelettes. there are 2 main reasons for HITH/HLLE and they are basic/poor diet and water conditions. activated carbon used to much is also problematic as it strips trace elements from the water that the fish absorb. HTH ;) and yeah water changes twice weekly of 30% aint a bad idea as like any pathogens you are reducing their number when you suck em out the tank :)

Something I am having getting great feedback from is ketangpang leaves.

The old indian almond leaf!

Not sure how it works.

But seems more reliable than the more harsh antibiotic alternatives.

+1 on increase variety of food

havent used epsom salt before but certainly sounds interesting.

Anyone heard about people using miracle mud 2 for HITH?

You mean twice a week on the 8foot? Are you crazy? LOL

I have swapped Him and its Spawning partner into my 4 and my Juvi Toga and Bass into the 8 foot so I can treat Him. I figured I better treat his friend just incase they both have it.

I will be doing 20% WC on the 4foot and topping up with Aquarium Salt. Hopefully this will fix him up.

If you have a python, not the snake kind, water changes twice a week would be easy as! If you do buckets, id def invest in a python having such a large tank. I somtimes do water changes on my six foot twice a week, cause I enjoy it to a degree and im sure my oscars love the frash air hehe..,a lot less water to you but still alot! I use buckets..:/

Good luck with him. Some good info said. Diet and water quality and im sure he be ok :)

I am not worried about the process of WC. I take my about 5-6 Minutes to empty out 20-30% of the water(I have a fairly big siphoning hose). Filling take a while, but normally just go make myself a feed and come back to a full tank.

Its the fact the 20% of 1300L = 260L. Time that by x 4 for a month = 1040. Times by 3 =3120 <<<<= A healthy Water Bill = Angry Wifey. LOL

^^^^^^And this goes against my "Motto in Life" Happy Wife = Happy Life :D

I am not worried about the process of WC. I take my about 5-6 Minutes to empty out 20-30% of the water(I have a fairly big siphoning hose). Filling take a while, but normally just go make myself a feed and come back to a full tank.

Its the fact the 20% of 1300L = 260L. Time that by x 4 for a month = 1040. Times by 3 =3120 <<<<= A healthy Water Bill = Angry Wifey. LOL

^^^^^^And this goes against my "Motto in Life" Happy Wife = Happy Life :D

right so 1040 litres for the month at $3.0008 per KL or 1000 litres. cheaper then a cuppa ;) and yes rainwater usage instead of tapwater will play its part as rainwater is very soft (no trace elements) 10 bux a quarter bill :)

its sounds harsh BUT it worked for me on a couple of big polystigma females i was given , it looked alot like hole in the head

i wrapped up the girls in a damp towel making sure only the wound was exposed , i then got a pinch of condies and forced it in the wound/hole .leave condies in hole for ten or so secs then rinse her off in a bucket .

within a 2 weeks the wound was well and truely healed ,only signs of it are a small divot in their heads

never heard of such direct concentrated use of condies

but I would add a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the water used to rinse off the fish

help oxidise some of the condies.

bit drastic tho

but then hith is nasty

should mention that if its a favourite pet

you are probably best taking it to a vet for treatment

I havr been doing 20% WC daily adding 1 TBS Aquarium salt per 20L, then I realised that the recipe I was following was for a Tonic(make the tonic, add fish 5minutes and return to aquarium) OOPS!

salt is all gone now

HITH has almost healled. I figure the water cant be to bad because they laid again last night.

I will be continue doing the daily WC for the rest of the week to get the salt out.

I have also been soaking for food in aqaurium water with half a crushed multivitimin.

Yes the rocklea boys told me to do the same thing when i asked them about HITH........

its sounds harsh BUT it worked for me on a couple of big polystigma females i was given , it looked alot like hole in the head

i wrapped up the girls in a damp towel making sure only the wound was exposed , i then got a pinch of condies and forced it in the wound/hole .leave condies in hole for ten or so secs then rinse her off in a bucket .

within a 2 weeks the wound was well and truely healed ,only signs of it are a small divot in their heads

Grrr Its back again! Same fish. :(

Can anyone tel me why only one(the same as last time) has it? all the fish have the same diet. I do weekly 30%ish water changes.

Their diet is Hikari Gold, Frozen Cichlid dinners and peas.

I have been doing 20% WC daily adding 1 TBS Aquarium salt per 20L, then I realised that the recipe I was following was for a Tonic(make the tonic, add fish 5minutes and return to aquarium) OOPS!

salt is all gone now

HITH has almost healled. I figure the water cant be to bad because they laid again last night.

I will be continue doing the daily WC for the rest of the week to get the salt out.

I have also been soaking for food in aqaurium water with half a crushed multivitimin.

^^^^ This is what I did. Also I raised the Temp after about 3 days to 28 from memory. I am thinking about using PimaFix as well this time.

Will go buy some Condies tommorrow (Hopefully) any Idea how much they cost?

BTW This is where I got the remedy last time.

Hole in the Head by Adam Dagna of World Cichlids

This time I am going to treat it for 1 month or so...I feel like I am punishing Her though....She came usaully live in 1300L of water(8x2.5x2.5), Now Her and Her Lesbian Mother live in a 4x1.5x1.5 while I treat her. And before anyone asks, I move both of them as last time they both sulked for 3 days.