The Tech Den

New heater time

Time for a new heater and throwing up a few options and do not know which way to go - recommendations anyone??

Was thinking on the Hydor Theo as I like the idea that it will cut out if the water level goes to low and does not crack or shatter and also does not mind being horizontal.

The other was the Fluval Tronic as with it being solid state I like the idea of no moving parts so would think that it would be more reliable.

It will be going in a discus tank so will need to will need to heat above 28 degrees.

Edited by The Tech Den

the jager quality definately has dropped , not water tight , thermastats that stick, not to mention having to put a thermometer in the tank to adjust them ??? what ever happened to turning the heater to the required temp , then walking away???

Rena Smart Heater 200W

The RENA SmartHeater is the most technically advanced aquarium heater available – delivering a wide temperature range and an LED warning alert system. The LED alert flashes when water is +/- 5º F from set point. Plus the RENA SmartHeater is made of unbreakable plastic resin and is safe to the touch, even when heating. The RENA SmartHeater works in any position, horizontal or vertical, heating the aquarium by itself or when attached to a RENA filter.

These are a nice heater bit dearer though

Yeah I have heard good things about the Rena's, Only reason I still use Jagers is the heating capacity, Would rather have one 300W heater that you need to calibrate than have 3 x 300W heaters that you don't, But for a tank under or equal to 300L, then Id go with the Rena or Fluval Tronic.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4261&catID=7

Hey mate,

I have used the AZoo heaters they are titanium and have a external control, and also found the Marineland heaters also to be a good buy as these both do last and have near perfect heater settings that do not waver like other models. However in saying this these are not cheap and I personaly use cheaper brands and replace them each year as I have bought many heaters over the years and have found that it does'nt matter about the amount they cost as I have had most heaters blow up on me at one time or another. So I find the best way is to buy middle range heaters and then sell them after winter.

Cheers

Johno

Will be going in the main tank. Was also thinking perhaps going with a controller so it is a little more obvious the temp and also that way it would be a little bit harder for the heater to cook the fish. Liked the idea of the Weipro where it actually had two heater connections - be pretty safe if one died.

MX1019a.jpg

Iv been using the Aqua One Thermosafe 300W (I think I am running 4 or 5 of them) for the last 12 months or so.

Was a little skeptical at first, but they are doing the job and seem super reliable.

Not as efficient as the Jagers comparing to similar wattage but the intial cost outweighs that IMO (Russ at RPC sells them for $17 I think). And they have all the safety cut offs like the jagers too.

Caught my rena smart heater the other day at over 35C. The tank water was 35C AFTER I did 30% emergency water change so lord knows how hot it got. Had full belt air in the tank due to recent hot weather so no fish were lost but they were pretty stressed out.

Other think I did not like about the Rena is that pain in the bum flashing light warning when on a hot night my tank water got higher than the heater setting.

Also did not like the fact that my whiptails could slither in near the heater thru the sleeve its held in.

Jager quality is down but if I can get them cheap enough I think I will probably stick with them.