clint

happy to find the forum

Hi all. I'm Clint. Been looking for a forum like this for a while now. I think it's true good things come to those who wait. I have spent hours looking through the forum and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

I'm learning about aquaponics and have built a system using 5 x IBC and 1 x 1000 litre fibreglass sump tank. I've used 2 IBC for fish and cut the other 3 vertically for grow beds. It was surprising how much 20mm river gravel they took- 2 ton. When I was shovelling I had this thought, if river caught fish can carry disease what is on these rocks.

Fishmeal has a large percentage of ocean fish in it. Therefore I will be feeding ocean fish to pond fish. Before I buy table fish I would like to have a supply of feeder fish. I'm thinking one of the IBC will be for feeder fish. To start with, I have a bathtub with pond pump and nice green algae. I think guppies would feel at home there.

So what would be the best variety for outdoor fish? I live out the back of Gympie and we some times get frosts, but not often. I am also looking for a local supplier of a suitable fish.

Hello and welcome Clint :)

I cant answer your questions i know nothing but that sounds like a very cool set up your developing outside so goodluck with it :) Take some pics sometime once everything up and stocked i'd love to see :D

.........and stay tuned the advice will arrive shortly lol

Thanks. I'll post the questions elsewhere on the forum and as for photos of the aquaponic set up, my computer and I are not that friendly yet. But after I get better aquatinted with it maybe I can introduce it to the camera.

I'll start off with Australian natives of which I've been told to start with silver perch. My initial idea is to put fish on the table so I will stick with that for now.

Thanks for all the replies.

PS I've just seen the first solder fly in my compost.