liquidg

South east Queensland aquarium society recent activities

Over the last month or so there have been some top collecting trips the club has organised, especially for the new members to start stocking their tanks with some local marine life to add to the species they have bought.

This is just a few pics of the collected species in their tanks and of the sport of recreational collecting we carry out to keep the aandtsociety,once the diverse Aquarium and Terrarium Society of Queensland, now south east Queensland aquarium society with only marine/reef aquarium keepers these days.

Some of these photos are from some recent trips the club members have been on to collect their own reef aquarium life forms and enjoy the southeast’s free dive sites and low tide rock pool spots as well.

One of the better sunrises as we arrived at the water for a low tide trip.

sun-3-.jpg

Two boat loads of us on our way to collect and appreciate the ocean on a club collecting trip.

boats-heading-out-.jpg

Some colourful variations of zoanthids seen on our trips.

zoas-.jpg

This season has had some chunky muddies at our collection sites.

muddy-.jpg

A nice flat worm at one of our sites.

flat-worm-.jpg

Many lovely corals on our trips to appreciate or collect, collection out side of marine parks in Q is totally legal!

coral-11-.jpg

Some times we chase an anthia or two for the tanks.

anthias-.jpg

There has been quite a few lemon peel centropyge around this season.

lemon-peel-.jpg

Always some nice coloured tubeworms at some of our sites, these are amongst xenia.

purple-tube-worm-2-.jpg

A sponge species (acanthella klethra) we commonly find ideally suited to the reef aquarium that will survive very nicely in the aquarium and assist in nutrient conversion, plus excellent for some to graze upon as it grows quite quickly and is not nearly invasive.

orange-sponge-.jpg

One of the coral beauties we find on our trips.

coral-beuaty-2-.jpg

Lots of lysmata peppermint shrimp at some sites we collect at.

large-peps-.jpg

dunno how much that sponge would appreciate being out of the water mate

I have been collecting sponges for quiet a while now and sure, some species do not appreciate open air adventures, but the two I have targeted for over 25 years either for grazing fish or assisting nutrient control, your concerns do not apply!

This one I normally have out of the water for up to 4 hours before it hits the aquarium, I always cover it with rubbish algae or wet rags as I go along to avoid totally drying out of course.

Though being almost completely dry and dead in appearance doesn’t even worry this one as I have experimented with it in many ways a long time ago to know how it reacts for what I do with it.

If its local, with most life forms, what it does is known!

I collect a fist full, per say, and have it multiply in my tubs to several fist full sizes for the main tank for the blennies and the mimic tang, there is so much in there now it has gone beyond what they eat so each community is getting a fraction out of hand,oh well, I just pull a section of it off the original and that peice grows nicely in the tubs.

The last trip we got some for straddy boys algae area of the NWMS and he is starting a small high in acros tank,some will go in there,its going great guns.

It just doesn’t like the direct light, other algae’s cover it, that doesn’t harm it, its fine under there, you just cant appreciate the lovely orange colour!

This is it in my little tank,this species of sponge is fine out of the water for a time,not in hot weather though!!

tank--1.jpg

This is some of the last lot I got around four months back, the pic is a month old and it is a little larger than when that pic was taken.

The fish in there don’t overly touch it, they are well fed.

These are my pets,its not a display tank!

tub-3-.jpg

Edited by liquidg

Where about's to you guys collect from? Not that I keep marine but you always have some great fish/coral collections! :)

For corals we have three spots at the sunshine coast and one on the gold coast that are the best, fish,well any where out side of the green zones, in marine parks you can get any thing non coral at 5 per 28 days, out side of marine parks there are no limits to amounts of corals or non dinner species of fish collected!

The spots we go to are for the club, we don’t give out sites for so many reasons!

This thread tells you every thing on anything collecting and some!

This section is not totally open for very good reasons.

Marine fish and invert collecting, SEQ dive site page,regulations,how to collect,all updated by aandtsociety each 3 months.

Its name is there with it in the thread.

You see it in the shops at times,sadly they put it in the uvr light,it doesnt look so great on its surface after a while under that.

Other algae that will grow on it as it burns,these will smother it above,but it will grow nicely under the damaged surface,if ventilated with oxygenated waters.

oneday i will be keen on a salt water setup maby when i kno i wont be moveing for a few years but untill then i like to see what you see throu your pic's it's mutch apreciated .

thank's john

You can make a small aquarium set up with a good design and move this type and size all over the place from time to time-two to three feet long that can house all corals and fish easily with a bit of work building it,but very little work once you get it going and no white spot on your fish or deaths of corals.

You would be supprised at what can be done that is said can not be done,as it has always been!

you can move the corals,fish,tank filter with out being running for up to 12 hours with minimal affects to filter or anything else.

Peppermint shrimp are extremely common now,because of the global warming affects on our local marine conditions; we used to only find expansion of colonies from September, now the numbers are full on all year round.

The ocean here virtually never goes below 17.5c any more as it used to get down to 14c,out wide as well.

This started changing 10 to 15 years ago, slow but very apparent, when you go out there regularly you well and truly notice it.

This means they breed all year round now and we increase their habitat greatly in the areas we frequent.

We know what they do in all aspects of their lives after years of collection and some captive breeding.

The reason they are such a prolific Aiptasia controller is they eat most all small organisms, the young Aiptasia especially and if very settled in the aquarium, they will clean your fish.

Being that they are both sexes in each and fertilize each other at double the possible rate of regular shrimp, this makes for extremely prolific breeding, they are after all a lysmata!

When we construct a section of habitat at the correct tide level and balance the larger adults compared to juveniles, the numbers when we return at roughly one month, go from 2 to 4 there originally to 40 to 50 there from then on!

This is at hundreds and hundreds of sites.

One thing though, boxer shrimp will reduce their colony as they expand when temps hit around 20c and their cyano food sources explodes, so we account for that for them to help the peps.

The learning of peps life styles over the last 30 years has been brilliant; they are a top form of life as to how they live their lives.

We most certainly don’t just collect these fascinating shrimp.