mojie

discus water conditions

hey guys

what's the general consensus re adding discus buffers and trace elements to your discus tanks? Currently I don't bother - just keeping up with regular water changes. I did a test on the tap water last night though and noticed it was pretty high (around 7.6). Would adding a product like seachem discus buffer during water changes help me and my fish out re ph stability?

Cheers

Gemma

If it is working, don't change it.

In terms of water if you really had a good reason to change, you would be wanting to lower the pH and soften the water. No additive will soften the water IMO. Some will drop slightly but not to any great extent.

To lower pH hard core discus peeps use hydrochloric acid. Again that is hard core, but lowers pH without adjusting hardness.

Having put those two thing in seperate paragraphs they both feed of each other. A good starting read is the begining of the Baensch Fish Atlas Book 1 - links the pH and hardness and explains what is what well.

Mate if your not breeding your fish i wouldn't mess with the water, just add Lloyd Jones Supa-Chlor to town water and you will have no problems, most Discus you get in Australia are tank bred and can handle the higher PH, this also works for growing out juvies, Stable PH is more important than a low Ph.

So unless you have wildcaught or breeding i wouldn't mess with the water.

If you do want to know more about softening water look up the member here by the user name Little l and have a read through some of his posts, you will find a lot of useful and knowledgeable information