jessismore0433

Need advice as to how to keep my plants alive, unplanted, travelling.....

Hello All!

I'm doing a BIG move 14hours north going to pull apart my planted tank on Sunday (night) and it probably won't get put back together until Tuesday (night).

The place i'm going to is going to be very hard to source plants so would like to get my plants up there alive.

So few questions

1) Best way to transport (thinking wrapped in wet papertowel?)

2) How long will my stem plants survive without being planted in dirt, gravel etc?

3) How long can they survive without light? (probably only be 24hrs...)

Would really appreciate all advice......

1) Best way to transport (thinking wrapped in wet papertowel?)

There are so many ways to transport the plants it is not even funny. Each person who sells plants to other states (including myself) have different methods they go about doing it. Some use the wet newspaper/paper towel then place in glad wrap containers (seals in moisture and keeps the plants from drying it), and others just place the plants in the glad wrap without the paper as the moisture in the air of the glad wrap is fine for a few days. Just do not go transporting them in a glad wrap bag filled with water for a few days as the plants will rot away.

2) How long will my stem plants survive without being planted in dirt, gravel etc?

I have had some floating in my tanks for months and they are fine (pure laziness). But sometimes they are in a bucket of water in the garage or something for up to 4 days before replanting and they are fine (these are rarer hard to grow plants) and they survive with a little melt back. But then again I use ADA so that brings the dead back to life nearly haha!

3) How long can they survive without light? (probably only be 24hrs...)

They will be fine. I have done 3 to 4 day black outs and they have survived fine (done to kill algae if you are lazy).