Benjamyn

Goldfish Racing?!

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this... :(

Surfers Paradise Beergardens holds an event in which they "save" some feeder fish from a fish store, and then allow patrons to race them?! Does this shock anyone else as much as me...

GOLDFISH RACING - Mad Mike Bennett

I believe that we should work towards getting it stopped...

Their facebook also states they are planning a cane-toad race for Australia Day :/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000453105566&sk=wall

Someone has already set up a page in regards to taking action! Please come and support the cause if you believe these fish shouldn't have to go through this?

Help Stop Goldfish Racing Cruelty! // Take Action // Animals Australia Unleashed

i'll be honest, first thing I noticed was peggi :)

I dunno, i don't think that blowing the fish across the tank is a good idea - if they maybe just let the fish run its course and if your fish goes the wrong way bad luck!

That being said, I'd rather be chased by a straw than get thrown in a 3ft tank with a hungry oscar experiencing about 4 seconds of terror before being slowly dissolved in the oscars stomach whilst still alive.

i'll be honest, first thing I noticed was peggi :)

I dunno, i don't think that blowing the fish across the tank is a good idea - if they maybe just let the fish run its course and if your fish goes the wrong way bad luck!

That being said, I'd rather be chased by a straw than get thrown in a 3ft tank with a hungry oscar experiencing about 4 seconds of terror before being slowly dissolved in the oscars stomach whilst still alive.

yeah Im thinking the same...these guys are feeders...you would also have to think..these guys are destined for death...so its a hard one to call....

But what happens to them after the race? lol

sorry but who really cares, these fellas are feeders, most feeders are feeders for a reason, probably cause they did not have sufficient colour, shape, etc and are what the breeder would cull or not sell as a "goldfish"

at the end of the day, i cant condone what they are doing here, i used to own dovii and i used to feed them livies most of the time, so it doesnt really bother me.

either way they are headed for a short life.

I think its wrong...but the hard thing is..if you watched the fate of all feeder fish...you would see some pretty bad endings...some predator fish..eat half the fish and think..oh well dont want any more...live fish half eaten swims around for half an hour before being eaten...some people cut the tails off their feeders so they swim slower...this is the reality...I wouldnt promote/support this activity....but thats humans for ya....horses spend their whole lives sprinting so we can bet on which one runs faster...then if they break a leg during a race(which we made them run..and think about steeplechases!!)...we put them down...humans have the issues...just us abusing intelligence...im bored so run animals!!....I'd ban it..even just to stop it "catching on"...wonder what the rspca thinks of this???....I think they should make them catch pest/introduced species form the creeks,etc.....race them and then have them destroyed(maybe have a fisho on board to overwatch)....would it still be cruel then???...interesting huh!?!

Hehe

I've got 6 Oscars so I know how cruel they can be to feeders... And yes, sometimes I do give them feeders too...

You could say that makes me a hypocrite...

I guess I am one? But I am not feeding my Oscars feeders for my pleasure... Unlike a lot of people with predatory fish, I dont like seeing them get eaten, but believe the Oscars should be allowed that experience of hunting and eating in a more "natural" way

Shocked that you said some people cut the tails of their feeders, just seems sadistic to me :/ Ive never heard of that before :(

I just see this as being a pointless activity just to entertain the drunks... It is not for the benefit of the fish whatsoever whether they make it out to be or not...

THE ONLY THING that is making the situation "hard" to judge, is the fact they are using a "useless feeder fish"

Would there be more of an uproar if they were using a more ornamental fish? :/

Please... anyone that agrees... Fill in the petition and send it off...

I have contacted the RSPCA to find out what else can be done...

I get that its all "for a bit of fun" but I HIGHLY doubt any fish would enjoy it... It's just pathetic... (No matter what their fate would have been)

you really rang the rspca... that's the most pathetic thing i've heard are you a captain in the fun police? you seriously have nothing better to do the try and get this pub in trouble of a few crumby goldfish... you remind me of one off those crazy american PETA nutcases, according to them keep fish in a tank is animal cruelty

personally it sounds like fun, but if its a race shouldn't they be fair and let the fish swim on their own? thats why its called a race, what they're doing with the straw is kinda mean. I wouldn't have anything to do with it....they may be feeders but just think if it was one of your best display fish....feel any different? and perhaps they should donate the fish to someones pond or as food for their oscars etc, but a fish is a fish and any inhumane activity should be frowned apon!....thats my 2 cents, others may feel different and everyones entitled to their own opinion :)

I think its wrong...but the hard thing is..if you watched the fate of all feeder fish...you would see some pretty bad endings...some predator fish..eat half the fish and think..oh well dont want any more...live fish half eaten swims around for half an hour before being eaten..

but thats natural, thats what would happen naturally in the wild....goldfish races on the other hand....

As long as the fish are looked after, I cant see a problem with this.

My goldys swim into bubbles all day long lol

as to what happens to feeders..... i imagine they go back to the store.

people could always offer to rescue them to a tank at home?

this is no where near as cruel as people keeping golfish in little bowls in qld

Have you seen the state of the average aquarium in houses. This won't be stopped because in reality australians kill MILLIONS of fish each year let alone each month. Not to mention the fishing industry. Sorry but i doubt anything will and should be done about this.

I say if you want to race goldfish then lets breed a racing one for that purpose as a fighter for fighting and so not realy keen on that the fighting of fighters has ben band so then one breeds pigeon for racing properly controld then yes maby the sale of stress gard will increase haha:)