roboat

Adding Driftwood

Just wondering as I am about to add some driftwood which will possibly lower my pH but will deffinately make the water softer and I was thinking should I add some crushed coral aswell to keep things steady? I don't want my pH to really change and water gH is around 8, the driftwood is proper probably 100's of years old from the creek (dad got in canoeing one day). I just don't want to harm my fish with a pH drop and thought adding a lil buffer would counter to driftwood.

Make sure you thoroughly boil and clean and sun dry the wood if it was found in some river.

Besides that I cant reccomend much, only that it would need to be a large bit of driftwood to substantially change the PH.

Adding 7 LARGE bits of drift wood to my tank only dropped the PH by .2

hope that helps any.

lol, about oooh... 3... 2... 1... still got snials? no? hehe

Lol what? I did some fluke treatment pretty sure it killed the snail, lost track of it and it hasn't resurfaced yet so guessing it's dead hopefully. Fish seem a lot happier for the wood which is great, my peppermint bn comes out a lot more now because the wood is at the front he used to hide behind a rock all the time :(.