clipper

Sexing Electric Yellows.

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been done before but I was wondering if some fellow electric yellow breeders could straighten out a few qualms I have with sexing yellows. My gf asked all the ways you can sex electric yellows and I was rather shocked that I wasn't able to identify 100% on any of them except the alpha males.

So was wondering if possible if people could form a list of how to do it with pictures if possible.

Again I realise its been done before but please help if you can, if not well don't comment please. =)

Cheers clipper.

look up 'vent sexing'. it is tricky at first but is accurate. is difficult with younger fish…

cheers, murray

Yep, but can be very hard if you don't know what to look at especially juvies.

best way to sex them is to buy 100 and as the females get mouth fulls then seperate them off , works for me :)

Kind of agree here but would be a long wait till they sexual mature, sometime people can't wait.

Ive got four electric yellows. My male is darker then the females. He has a black top and bottom fin. Where as the female only has a black top fin. I have gotten two mouthfuls out of these so far. Got new babys as of tonight.

Behavior is also a big one depending on size if you know what your looking for.

You can usually take your dominant boys out and watch the next one take his place, all the way until you have a 'quiet' group of girls.

Venting can be useful but usually not accurate in juvies, until they have spawned at least once as the organs will have a 'define' shape after this.

Dorsal/Anal fin color is probably the least accurate as I have had jet black finage on more than a few girls.

Then there is the 100% full proof method.... Wait until they have a gob full of eggs :)

Probably one of if not the hardiest Mbuna to sex.

Edited by FIIK