Keegan013

Low height sumps?

Hey guys I have a spare 3x2x1 LWH that I might turn into a sump for my new rack. Will be 7 2x15x15s and 2 4x2x2's. Just wondering will there be any problems if I was to use a tank like this as a sump? Also what best designs would I want? I want it simple but effective.

Cheers.

Don't think it'll work mate, the height is to low for the amount of tanks you running into it, once you get a power outage or you turn the sump pump off you'll find that your sump will over flow, that's what I think anyway but I could be wrong.

Yeah I was worried about that. The gap between ground and first tier would only really allow for this size tank. I was thinking what I lacked in height I made up for in width ;)

The tanks drilled with one hole in the top that I could add a bulkhead and overflow a hose outside?

If I do low baffles I think it could work?

I had my sump set up like that, well with the overflow anyway to outside. The trouble is when the power goes out and then comes back on the pump runs dry as there is not enough water is the system anymore. There may be a way the get the inlet pipe into the bulkhead quite high so that there is not much water that is lost when the power drops, but it may be loud too and form whilpools on the surface with the inlet being so close. Good luck though.

hey work out how many liters will drop out of all your tanks when your return pump turns off,then how much you will need in sump to run the pump plus a tadd more and that should tell you how big of a sump you will need.hope that helps

Ideally I would love to set up a sump of the minimum height of 15" = 38.1cm but you got the width there Keegan which maybe cover abit of inflow from tanks. Maybe operate a little bit lower than 3/4 of the water level in the sump may works.

work out how many lt of water for the inflow then operated in full minus the inflow.