drmunroe

1st time UV lamp user questions...

Hey guys, bought a 11w UV lamp today (s/h) & it didn't come with any instructions. I'm guessing they're aren't too complicated to use, but before I hook it up I just want to make sure of a few things:

1. I should hook up the UV lamp inlet to the outlet of my canister?

2. The UV lamp doesnt appear to have a dedicated inlet or outlet - does this matter? the water will just flow through either way?

3. Anything else i should know? Or is it really just "plug & play"

thanx

Plug and play.

I would be putting it on the outlet side of your canister, if for no other reason as to stop it getting filthy as fast as obviously the water should be cleaner that side. The dirtier the glass gets on a UV the less effective it will become.

Plug and play.

I would be putting it on the outlet side of your canister, if for no other reason as to stop it getting filthy as fast as obviously the water should be cleaner that side. The dirtier the glass gets on a UV the less effective it will become.

Thanx - i thought i heard once that if you put it into the inlet of the canister & will kill the bacteria?

Also how do i know when to replace the bulb?

cheers

Well, i admit i'm not an expert on UV lamps but i would of thought no matter what side it's on it will kill the bacteria. My logic was that as the water exiting the filter is cleaner is should be, if anything more effective on that side and also as i said would stay cleaner for longer.

As for replacement, well i would just do some googling and find out what the typical halflife of a UV lamp is. The obvious answer i guess is when it stops working, haha!