americans

will plants grow in sand ????????

They will grow fine in sand, you will need a source of nutrients though, Dino dung would be good under the plants. You also don't want the sand to compact to much as it can limit root growth. Adam (Discus_noob) had a really nice planted tank using sand as the substrate a year or so ago.

.Most plants will grow fine provided you use yous root tabs for sp like crypts swords and other sp that take high % of nutriants through their roots .Most stem plants will be fine with liquid ferts. Have done many tanks with sand over the years best not to go to fine though

wow bidkev that looks awesome what sort of lighting are you using ???

cheers mate

4 x 3ft (30W) Power Glo 9 hrs a day...............nothing fancy

White sand from a landscape yard for me.

I have put a little bit of dino dung in the back right corner but thats it, And ive used a cap or 2 of flourish since setup..

Light is a 3 foot 8 tube t5 but only 4 tubes on for 8 hours a day.

dinosaur dung spit and pee direct from manufacturer Dave Willson Aqua_green also carries wide variety of plants very helpfull and plesent to deal with.his web page has heeps of info on it.

Guys is there any risk of the sand compacting and getting pockets of anaerobic activity and gas ? And thats just play sand from Bunnings ??? Great that is the look I am looking for my new Blue eye tank ?

Phil

I use propagating sand, looks very nice, more natural IMO and doesn't compact. I add soil underneath to provide CO2 and nutrients. All of the Dino products are great.

Just soil from my yard, provides everything I need. Propagating sand is a corse sand used to propagate cuttings of plants. Bunnings sells 5 liters for around $5.

I found this easy DIY substance

Cheap Sand-based CO2 Generating Sub

Here's a recipe I've been using for 4-5yrs for a low cost, long life substrate that suits just about everything I've grown.

Propagating Sand (Bunnings $4.95 a bag)

Marble Chips/Oyster Shells

Blood & Bone

Laterite (optional, as the sand has a lot of clay in it)

Peat Moss (optional)

Cover the base with 1-1.5cm unwashed propagating sand - straight from bag, heaps of clay

Sprinkle marble chips - 1 x handful per 30cm square

Sprinkle blood & bone - 1 x dessert spoonful per 30cm sq

Sprinkle laterite - 1/2 x handful per 30cm sq or lay cut and dried potters clay

Cover the lot with 3-4cm well washed propagating sand, don't want all that clay in the water column!

Cover with cling wrap and fill to desired level to work with plants.

The propagating sand is full of minerals and a fair bit of clay... that's why you can get away without using laterite. Coupled with the B&B for N & Ca, the gross feeding plants love it.

The marble chips help maintain ph balance, which is needed for efficient nutrient uptake, and provide an ongoing Ca source. It also acts as the carbon reserve, supplying CO2 as it dissolves. Oyster and other mollusk shells do the same and are the building blocks of aragonite.

The sand is fine grained for a substrate, which keeps all the **** from leaching into the water column. But it really encourages micro-organisms, worms, etc... and I find that the spiral (Malaysian) snails keep it really well aerated - not to mention the Corys rooting around.

In three years I've never had a problem with fouling or gas build up.

I've tried adding a fine layer of peat, but haven't noticed an appreciable difference either way.

The substrate in my shrimp tank is full of tubifex, which aerate it constantly and transfer nutrients up and down through it. My CRS/CBS seem to love the free treats they deliver.

Give it a go - even in an experimental tank.

post-4201-14711625876041_thumb.jpg

thanks very much for the info crimson tide where would you get molluscs shells from that would be safe for tank use and what are marble chips and wheres there availability

cheers