Rastinger62

needing some help with new breeding setup please

Hi,

I'm still new (about 8 months) to the addictive fish game and learning heaps by people and by reading. I'm running 3 seperate tanks atm and seem to be doing it fine.

I just brought a breeding set up of 6 tanks which 2ft by 2ft by 40cm high. this on a 3 tier rack. 5 of the 6 tanks have a divider so I can run 10 tanks of 1ft by 1ft and a 2ft. I have heaps of Biochemical Bio Sponge Filters which are going to running through a High Volume Air Pump 3400L/H

HT-650 HIGH VOLUME AIR PUMP

56.6 litres pr minute

Whisper quiet and extremely reliable

65 watts

35kpa

Now this is the bit I'm confused on: since this setup isn't running on a sump system,

what would be the best way to run it?????

Do I need to buy 11 filters for all the tanks?

Would the Biochemical Bio Sponge Filters be enough to run it without filters?

I'm really unsure and bottom line trying to save on the power bill when this is setup and still want to have clean tanks for all my fish I want to breed in quality water.

Any help or links which could steer me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

you will get answer saying sumps are better, some will say bio-filters are better, i have both and both are great if set up the right way,

the biggest thing i can see is in winter you will need 11 heaters if you don't sump them, but sumping them will cost a few $$$$ up front, but save on heaters and power later on, with a sump you can run 1 heater and 1 sump pump, no need for bio-filters then, easier to do water changes, but if you add 1 fish that has something wrong you can loss all the fish,

so i seperate tank for new fish is a must,

thanks for that great info steveandjules :) I have heaps of bio filters and heaps of heaters so what your telling me that I can run this setup with bio filters, heaters and the usual maintenance on the tanks eg: water changes and checking ph as I would do on a single tank. I'm a little nervous as I have never used these bio filters before. I will look into getting a sump system set up for the future or even upgrading on a new setup.

Thanks

we have fry everywhere at the moment

my current problem lol

I am setting up tanks to hold them

basically you expand your horde in summer

and then shrink it in winter when you need heated tanks

I like to keep species that are cold water

so I can expand them through winter!

just like fruit

that are in season

you get less $ selling coldwater fish in winter

and less $ selling tropicals in summer

just because theres more supply.

if you want to save cash

find someone with access to styrofoam sheets

and trade them fish stuff for lots of them

then insulate fish room with styro sheets

and save on power bill!

Sump that Badboy or you will hate it more & more every week!

Trust me, I ran separate tanks for years then I meet a top bloke of this forum who showed me the light & now I'm summed to the eyeballs & loving it!

Easyier to maintain & service & cheaper to run! 1 easy water change, turf the dacron & Bam your away! other wise you have to water change 6 bloddys tank (or 11!)

Sump that Badboy or you will hate it more & more every week!

Trust me, I ran separate tanks for years then I meet a top bloke of this forum who showed me the light & now I'm summed to the eyeballs & loving it!

Easyier to maintain & service & cheaper to run! 1 easy water change, turf the dacron & Bam your away! other wise you have to water change 6 bloddys tank (or 11!)

I would have to agree there, it is a lot easier once set up than individual tanks

You also have to work out if a sump fits in? A sump is best if it is below the tanks. If it is a 3 tier filled with tanks then you either put the sump to the side of the setup and lower than the bottom tier or you put it on the bottom tier and only run the top two tiers to the sump and use the tanks on the same level as the sump as quarantine or run them individually.