crusty76

Can you repair a tank bottom without replacing the whole bottom??

Thanks guys the crack is a sort of u shape it goes from silicon in a u shape then back to silicon its about 10-15cms at the rear of tank in the middle of the sheet? rather not if i can help it replace the bottom? I did wonder if I could silicon a piece of glass over the crack? it cant go any further I gues thats a bonus? thanks in advance

Iv got 3 of my tanks repaired with glass over cracks, works fine :)

Glass thickness, well depends on the size of your tank I suppose. At least go the same thickness as the piece your repairing.

And as said before, just silicon around the perimeter of the new piece and I usually do a cross from corner to corner. Done.

the crack will continue till it gets to the end of a side. You can not stop a crack running its course, only if you drill in front of it and then the crack runs to a stop at the hole. Just tap the crack till it runs it full course cut a sheet to over lap the crack, cut out the silicon that sticks out. At the inside joint run a bead of silicon over the crack around the edge on the inside then around the edge of the glass you're placing into the tank. Put glass into position and place a brick or some wieght onto the new piece. Remove in 24 houres give it anohter day and fill, I repair tanks all the time and cut glass so guys if you need to, call or pm. me.

remember also to remove the old bead of silicone where the base meets the side before putting new bead down, position your glass patch and bead the silicone in again. cleaniness is the key secret for a good bond so make sure all tank scum and deposits are s****ed off before the bonding process.

Hi guys well Iv finally fixed it followed all your advice its been 48 hours now how long before I could do a water test? the sillicon tube says full cure in 7 days should I leave it that long? any help would be great thanks in advance!