asunderf

When did u start fish

I started off about 8 yrs ago or so now. Started off with fancy goldies in a hexagon tank, then moved to assorted cichlids, then to americans (ebjds specifically), halfmoon bettas, going through lots of high end oddballs/monsters and now settling with wild bettas and tetras in planted tanks. Next stop, marine! :D

when i was 10 odd i was given 2 of 4x18x18 tiered tanks.filled em with aussie natives then we moved from darwin to brissy so gave the tanks in total to the reles. bought a couple more tiered tanks as soon as i could in brissy and got into cichlids. had mts ever since.............. some 25 plus years :lol:

Three years ago I bought my ten gal I now keep my betta in. had electric yellows with guppies and a clown loach :/ I have progressed to keeping Angels the whole time with smaller peacful fish. I moved onto Americans and have settled with my oscar babies. It took me a year to go from a three foot to my six. And six more months to get a four foot to go with my six but sell the three foot. Thanks to you I know have a two foot as well hehe...

About 5 minutes ago.

2009 I was left with a 2 foot tank with 4 blue Crays when I kicked a house mate out. 2 friends then gave me a tank each. 1 was 2'6" and the other was 4 foot.

I put Tropical's in the 2'6" and a baby Oscar in the 4 foot.

The Oscar grew and grew and so bought a 6 x 15 x 18. The Oscar went in there and I bought a 2'6" x 15 x 18(bloody nice tank) and moved the tropical's to it and added plants.

My new house mate turned that tank off while I was away and killed everything - Over $500 worth of fish and plants. (lesson learned - never go away for the weekend and leave your tank in the hands of someone who knows nothing about them).

Always had trouble keeping my Oscar tank clean so came here and learned about sumps from Garman and Blackraven as well as a few others helping with friendly advice. Mackayman was a huge help online with his tank and sump build. Jaypee was also a huge help. These guys had posted photos of their builds which gave me more visual ideas.

Then Bought a 6 x 2 x 2 and sumped it. I learned heaps here and with the hands on help of Garman it wouldn't have come together as well as it did. (I also borrowed plumbing ideas from jaypee's photos).

Sold the 6 x 15 x 18 and the Oscar.

Went into Africans thanks to a little push and sold the 6 x 2 x 2 (I thought it leaked- It didn't ) and bought an 8 x 2 x 2.

since 2009, and before buying fish, I did heaps of research - here and elsewhere.

When I built my sump, I did heaps of research again. Here and elsewhere.

I found doing heaps of research gave me a better view since I found most members here were not open to views other than their own.

lesson I learned most from this forum was that we all learn and experience things in different ways. we find things out from all different means and sources. Ultimately what ever works for us works or we'd still be asking the same tired old questions and then only one person would have the answer. We need to accept what we have all learned as individuals and understand that what works for some may not work for others. As long as we come to the same result (happy fish and nice clean tanks) we all should be happy. what makes me happy is that I have had success in my fish keeping as I'm sure you're happy for the same reason.....Maybe we can all learn something new by not being so opinionated and reading and listening to what other's have done to arrive at their destination of healthy clean fish and tanks.

I listened and read what other people did and arrived at my current tank/s and I am very happy and appreciate those who contributed to them no matter how much or how little. There a few guys who even helped with my little planted tank which I think I more proud of than my monster tank. Planted tank is thanks to Chris G and a few others (I can't recall their usernames.

Other's I would like to thank are rassy, brwndggy (I think thats how he spells his username) and I'm sure there are others who contributed but can't recall their usernames. However they seem not to post here much any more. Such a shame to see those most willing to help are now gone - or seem to.

If I have forgotten anyone it's not deliberate.

bristlenoseJohn is a legend by the way.

Only really a year ago I got into it. Sure I had a small tank as a kid (20+ years ago) but no fish every last longer then a few months. Not sure if it was me or the fish....After awhile of the fish keep dying, I ran out of money to replace them so gave up. Being a lot older now and with a family, everyone loves the tank and the selection of inhabitants. I find watching the fish relaxing after a hard day in the office

Mmmmm thats giving my age away was siting at a dentist back in 1965 and ther was a show tank just full of swords angels and lots of plants it was rerlaxing while waiting, it took me back to wen i was a child and dad had a tank full of angels back in germany (came to australia in 1958) well it hit a spot so i went home to make a fishtank NOW back then ther was no silicon and all tanks were made into a metal frame some yellow looking aquarium putty and tar you just heat the putty and make it soft roll it into the frame place your sheet of glass and press wen all sides are done melt the tare and pore into the corners holding the tank at an angle and i had my first fish tank and it just grew and grew and stll growing and learning GOOD hobby an adictive drug that harms no one but can help in many ways enjoy it iam Wolfgang

Mmmmm thats giving my age away was siting at a dentist back in 1965 and ther was a show tank just full of swords angels and lots of plants it was rerlaxing while waiting, it took me back to wen i was a child and dad had a tank full of angels back in germany (came to australia in 1958) well it hit a spot so i went home to make a fishtank NOW back then ther was no silicon and all tanks were made into a metal frame some yellow looking aquarium putty and tar you just heat the putty and make it soft roll it into the frame place your sheet of glass and press wen all sides are done melt the tare and pore into the corners holding the tank at an angle and i had my first fish tank and it just grew and grew and stll growing and learning GOOD hobby an adictive drug that harms no one but can help in many ways enjoy it iam Wolfgang

This man is a wealth of information. Props up !

well wolfie beats me, he was watching a fishtank in 65 when i was not far away from being alittle ray!

i been into fish (now Outs) as officially Sunday 22nd Jan 2012 when Stevenjules bought ma last fish hehe buts i been into fish since i was 14, went multiple bout 16 then went beserk from there

fun hobby

now ima licking lizards n toads n playing wiff ma Snakey, but thats another story

Not including the goldfish i killed when i was a kid (i liked to pat them :P) started with a 40gal community tank in 1981. Kept alot of the usual things then started to breed Discus and others. Always been into planted tanks so never got hooked on African Cichlids. MTS only set in about 6 years ago when finances became more available for such things. Always liked catfish and now have the L number bug.

i started when i was 12 which is 5 years ago and my first fish was the best royal degree flower horn and i regret selling it, ever since then i cant hold fish for too long but im getting better i have had the same set up for a while lol and dont feel the need to get rid of them lolv

In 1978 had concrete washtubs and ceramic bathtubs anything that could hold water(600miles from nearest town), couldn't get glass by truck as roads to bumpy and the royal flying doctors would not cart glass.

1985 moved to town and setup 40 tanks and made contact with Phil Casey and Jennine mcgregor in Brisbane and started selling from the small backyard shed..not legal :-)... (1500km from Brisbane)supplying the local townsfolk until 1987 when I was taken to court by the local florist who had started selling aquarium fish through his shop.

Sold up and moved to Brisbane in 1988 with work..setup 5 big tanks in single garage and sold to locals in Boronia Heights until in 1993 where I built my own house and set up 1 big tank and now have Africans as a community display.

Have been getting an urge of late to start playing around with salt--maybe miniature lion-fish.

Edited by Bundy1

Got given a little hexagonal tank for xmas back in the summer of 69'....(they wouldnt of even had them then) yeah bit of a whippersnapper here...I got the little hexagonal for a present about 4-5yrs back...chucked in a pr of mollies...and then 1 died...put a little fantail in....could see after a bit that he wasnt meant to be there(too big)..did a little research...and yeah got the rash....had a bad case of mts last year but some changes in life halted that(things happen for a reason too)so Im glad now to get the love back and have more experience....great to read how some of you older guys got into it/started etc....always enjoy the hobby more learning from those who have been where your going...

Bought my first tank (2ft) around 17 years ago which contained Goldfish and kuhli loaches..... I quickly learn't that Kuhli's are not a cold water species, particularly since I lived where it snowed. (This is where my relationship started)

I have mainly been into cichlids and over the past few years I have taken up aquascaping. In particular building a complete bio system within an aquarium.

I doubt I will ever leave my planted tanks and I know I will always be learning.

I got given my first tank for a birthday present by my uncle (he thought I was old enough to look after fish properly. Little did he know). that was prior to 1960 and that is all I am saying.

Kept fish ever since then except for a couple of years just after I got married. Currently I have cut back and only have 19 active tanks and about 8 tanks for the shows.

Graeme

Had ****py little tanks when i was little. But got my first 3ft when i was around 13 i think. Put two oscars in there. I know bad me lol. Then had random neons and tetras etc. Then

bought an eel tail, and the neons kept disappearing. Got fully into fish at the end of 08. Had my heart set on a getting a flowerhorn. Went to the caboulture auction and was so sad that none came up lol. Another noob moment. Have only had really 1 or 2 tanks at a time. But buy fish and keep them at dads lol. Now I have an empty tank and no fish :(

Growing up and saving to move into my own house. So cant afford a tank. Btw Im 19 now.

Thanks zac

started out with 1 fighting fish a friend brought for me. the next weekend i had dug out my old 3ft tank and stand from the oldies shed, brought 2 more 2ft tanks and away we went.. oh and at that stage i lived in a grany flat (10mx5m) with absolutely nooo room. now some 4 years later, with over a dozen various size tanks (all over 2ft) and a list of fish.. and an actual house to call my own, i'm thinking it might be time for a rack or two :) and maybe a giant 8ft tank hmmm... the 6ft tank i have just doesnt seem big anymore ;)

It will never stop!