McFish

Average brood size for tropheus?

hey all

just wondering what most tropheus breeders get in a mouthfull per fish? in the last 2 months ive had 2 mouthfulls and the first female only managed to spit 2 fry and the second one just spat tonight with 4?

results and opinions welcome?

Cheers Ben

Depend how big she is, the bigger fish the more fry you get.

also depend on how experience she is, first or second spawn normally less then third or fourth will be better but try to strip her at 14-15 days would be the best.

Try to take her out of put her into the fry saver so others won't chase her, once she is stress out she would split or swallow. Good luck

Edited by Supercobwe

hey all

just wondering what most tropheus breeders get in a mouthfull per fish? in the last 2 months ive had 2 mouthfulls and the first female only managed to spit 2 fry and the second one just spat tonight with 4?

results and opinions welcome?

Cheers Ben

An average 20-30, some can hold more.

An average 20-30, some can hold more.

I call BS...

big HUGE tropheus girls, >15cm, might be able to hold 20, a polli /annectans, @ 17cm might get a more

average spawns are between 4-12 eggs, with maybe an 80% release rate

in 10 years the biggest mouthfull i have had from large females, stripping at 7 days, is 14 eggs, i know a few guys that have had 16-20

remember a tropheus eggs is 4-5mm round

most huge petros dont hold 30 fry.

ahh i see so i would be better of having a nersery tank so i can just catch her out and put her in there. will have to look into that thanks for the advice

If you don't have space or extra tanks, maybe buy yourself a fry saver like the following pictures with this link in the replied #7 but do straingten it up and put her there don't do like the picture did.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/african-cichlid-discussion-16/dedicated-thread-all-your-african-cichlid-pics-60719/

I call BS...

big HUGE tropheus girls, >15cm, might be able to hold 20, a polli /annectans, @ 17cm might get a more

average spawns are between 4-12 eggs, with maybe an 80% release rate

in 10 years the biggest mouthfull i have had from large females, stripping at 7 days, is 14 eggs, i know a few guys that have had 16-20

remember a tropheus eggs is 4-5mm round

most huge petros dont hold 30 fry.

A friend of mine had his tropheus hold 25 but hardly or rarely 30 with an average of 15-25

would there be big and experience one can hold more than 30? I haven't seen or heard of.

To date, My biggest mouthful from my Bembas has been 13, which I thought was big considering her size, 8cm. Mine average about 6-8 per spawn. I strip and tumble after 5-7days. 30 is MASSIVE!! It must have been a big female as Trofius said Tropheus eggs are big, she must of been dribbling eggs!!

My biggest hold was from a Ikola, she is decent size of approx 12cm and i stripped 17 eggs with barely a head and tail.

To have 30 fry, this tropheus would have to be massive.

My Ikola average 10 - 14 each mouthfull, my bembas that are only approx 8 - 9 cms average 7 - 10.

i strip at about 10 days. When i let them hold full term i only get 4 -5 from the bemba and 7 -9 from the Ikola.

hey guys

thanks very much for all the advise. ATM my tank is setup far to natural and rocky to be able to catch them with ease. my biggest female is only about 7cm tops and shes has 4 in her mouth as we speak just waiting for her to spit them for good, she keeps suking them back in!

cheers ben

start breeding at 6cm (1.5-2years) , 20-30 ha biggest i ever got from T's was 19 (dubousi 14-15cm as big &old as they get) , as for removing your females to a nursery tank good luck adding them back to the colony u will probly loose her as she will have lost her hiracky and will be bashed by other girls and most probly boy :)

love to see all the experience on here , good work on the breeding T's m8 keep it up they are very cool fish :)

hey guys

thanks very much for all the advise. ATM my tank is setup far to natural and rocky to be able to catch them with ease. my biggest female is only about 7cm tops and shes has 4 in her mouth as we speak just waiting for her to spit them for good, she keeps suking them back in!

cheers ben

If your tank is going to be for breeding only change the scape.

Try something like this:

i369541_IMG1443.JPG

or even this

img2797wi4.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Smaller rock piles will allow the males to claim territory and make it alot easier for you to identify & catch holding females.