Calvin

Went on holidays and come back to poo!

went on holidays for two weeks and my mate was feeding my fish, and my dad had 400 bux worth of rainbows and he come back to 2 rainbows left and his pleco, my pbass are ok some how there was about 30 liters left in my tank and my tropical and dads rainbows tank brown and smell really bad, any ideas?

the smell and dirty water indicates over feeding , next time lay out the food to be feed and better to be a bit less than if your home ther by overfeeding can't happen also select the person more carfully thats helping you out (sorry to see this happenig)

That sux, sorry to hear that.

Did you speak to your mate about what he did ?

How much he feed ? Did you give him instructions ?

Sounds like he didn't really know what he was doing?

We have had 40 degree weather in the fortnight you have been away, especially out here in the West of Brisbane, I suspect that the heat may have killed a few off in each tank and then as the corpses rotted in the heat you had a massive climb in Ammonia that killed more and so on. This may have been started by over feeding or the extreme heat or a combo of both.

Not his fault really if he didn't know what to do, people all over Brisbane were losing fish and shrimp like crazy and they were around to take care of their tanks.

Next time you go away I suggest you either get a mate who knows what he is doing to take care of your tanks and or give them detailed instructions of how to look after them when you are away.

I agree with other people here, best thing to do is let em fast for two weeks, they will be better off for it. In the wild fish often go a long time without eating when the dry season is on them, especially rainbowfish. $400 is a lot of rainbows what did he lose out curiosity ?

Turns out it was a combo there was all food around the water edge and we lost a couple from the heat, and the filter stopped cause when they all died he kept feeding them, before we left we told him its better to uder feed them then over feed them, and we showed him just a little pinch, but we have a years worth of food here and half of its gone lol, but thats right its not his fault, but we did give him giid instructions, but he lost 4 13cm wonga creeks 2 10cm boismani or something rainbows and 4 10cm goyder river, 6 9cm incicus raibows and 12 murry rivers and lots more lol there the nice ones i can remember lol;

When one of lfs closed up they had a couple of auto fish feeders. So I grabbed 4 of em. Now I am just playing with them and getting use to them so I can be lazy.

Machines are more reliable than people....

A cheap option considering....

Seems to dispense small pellets well too. And flake.

Turns out it was a combo there was all food around the water edge and we lost a couple from the heat, and the filter stopped cause when they all died he kept feeding them, before we left we told him its better to uder feed them then over feed them, and we showed him just a little pinch, but we have a years worth of food here and half of its gone lol, but thats right its not his fault, but we did give him giid instructions, but he lost 4 13cm wonga creeks 2 10cm boismani or something rainbows and 4 10cm goyder river, 6 9cm incicus raibows and 12 murry rivers and lots more lol there the nice ones i can remember lol;

Dude sorry to hear that, you have my sympathies, some nice "Bows" gone. Mate is your friend a bit simple or something ? How could you not notice dead fish. If he has any honour he will compensate you for your loss, but by the sounds of it he has trouble getting out of bed in the morning, let alone holding down a job. Bloody Cretin.

Edited by grubby

hahahah yeah a bit simple specially when we got home the fish were the rotton and watever we couldnt evan grab them with our hands lol, but yeah hes a good fella we just dunno its not hard to spot dead fish lol the i guess fish still get hungry when there dead ay hahahahah!

i picked up a little box with 7x3 compartments. so i just put in what i wanted for each of my tanks and i just got home from a 5 day trip.

although 2 weeks is a bit different without water changes. maybe go for 1 in 3 days with a different friend this time. im not that experienced so if that's a bad idea please comment, its just a suggestion.

hahahah yeah a bit simple specially when we got home the fish were the rotton and watever we couldnt evan grab them with our hands lol, but yeah hes a good fella we just dunno its not hard to spot dead fish lol the i guess fish still get hungry when there dead ay hahahahah!

Maybe he just thought that they were albino upside-down catfish??

Same thing happened to me a 2 weeks ago, my brother was looking after my fish for a week and I came back to dead:

2x L202s

1x L002

3x large wiptails

2x breeding pairs of ellioti

2 batches of ellioti fry

1 breeding pair of blue acaras

1 batch of blue acara babies

I was devestated, 3 tanks still have no fish in them cos I just bought a few Ls and stuff...

But I'm getting more on Saturday :)