Lynley

Aquarium shop better than wholesaler

Hi... I have had my tank now for nearly a year and have sorted out all the problems and learned through some mistakes and lost a couple of fish sadly. I was told that i could have discus in my tank and i think they are amazing fish. I learned of a wholesaler through here on the Gold Coast and so bought 2 discus... he didnt have what i wanted but it was a christmas present to me so i bought what was supposedly a white diamond . . white with a blue reflect in the fins.. and also a pigeon... they got on fantastic and swam as one .. after a couple of days the "whtie diamond" went lemon... i didnt want this as the other fish was that sort of colouring... and i wanted 2 different coloured to stand out... when i informed him and sent photos ... he replied that he did not give refund NOR SWAP... now this fish was not what i purchased or wanted ... so i lived with that ... it is my birthday soon and a friend said they would buy me a blue turk .. as that is what i really wanted ... when i added it to my tank .. the other one bullied it so bad for days i couldnt handle watching ... again .. he would not swap .. .so i sold it for $20 .. and then the other bullied the blue turk .. so i sold it for $20 .. i lost a lot ... and i bought a yellow diamond to go with the blue turk which is what i wanted in the first place ... but the blue turk has not let the little one eat... i did pick out a different fish while i was there but he advised the little one would go better and the price had been upped since i saw the price a couple of days earlier.... I have learned 2 things here

1. Only buy discus at the same time as then they are all new and more than likely get on.

2. Only buy from an Aquarium store as they will swap if the fish is not getting on with the others .... buying from the wholesaler has cost me heaps more than buying from an Aquarium shop .....

So beware .....

Also, i bought some beef heart home made food off him for my discus .. i had told him what else i had in my tank .... well ... it killed my ram ... 4 of them .. because it was too high in protein .. so that cost me an additional $60... he only has discus and angel fish .. so i suppose he didnt know it would kill my other fish .... but ... buying from this wholesaler has been the most costly experience i have had in my experience so far....

I felt to post this for others who might learn from my mistake and not make the same one.....best aquarium shops on the coast ... Aquarium and Petland behind the brickworks.... Bernies at Bundall special manager of the fish area ...... aquariums alive nerang ....

Edited by Lynley
to inform of best aquarium shops i have found

ah that's a sucky experience mate, and a lot of money down the drain.

When purchasing expensive fish I always do my research just to make sure I don't loose a load of money, I've bought discus before but unfortantly I bought sick ones, 1 from an aquarium (thats closed down now) that had a diease that i didn't know about till he died a few days later and one from a live fish auction that died the next day from an infection. Always buy from a reputable breeder or a lfs that you can trust. I personally recommend Petcity as I've bought a lot of my fish from their and they always seem to know what the go is with their fish, what fish can go with what, what foods to feed them etc and I never see dead or sick fish in their tanks unlike some other places i've been too... but i'm to polite to name names :)

Happy birthday though Lynley :)

I'm sorry for your loss! And sux that you had to go throug all that but I reckon you get what you pay for and quality service is one of those things! Like buying cheap stuff online.. You can't just go in and talk to them when something goes wrong and it seems most times people get lost in email land and end up with nothing more than heartbreak! Most Lfs will give dodgy advise to make a sale as well so chalk it all up to experience and use it to your advantage in the future!

+ 1 with lucky fish pet city is great!

Edited by Matmatmat

if you buy do not buy small 5-6cm get bigger one .. all the hard yard done for u ;) disucs it not the begining fish they just decide to die when they want nothing of your fault

I know what ya mean, I currently have a 2 that decided to stop eating full stop ... like wtf

All the others in the tank are eating everything thats offered .. I give the other 2 a few days before they go horizontal :(

I think I know exactly who you bought these off on the gold coast ;) I seen some fish he ( if I'm right ) sold to another member and they were the most stunted things I've ever seen and of course no refund when he complained . If you want good healthy discus look up rod Lewis or ssdiscus on the site . My advise buy the largest fish you can afford as you already can see their shape and coloring and all the hard work of mass feeding and water changes are already done . And when adding new fish try and buy more the same size and try to have at least 5 or 6 minimum as this settles the bullying down abit. Go see Rod or Shaun (ssdiscus) and see what healthy discus look like and learn what to look for picking good fish . Cheers Jamie

SS Discus are great fish - I've stocked his fish myself. Choosing discus is not tricky once you learn what to look for. That's why we only try to stock large discus so you can see that you are getting your money's worth. Sorry to hear man, please don't let it dissuade you from the joys of the discus though!

May I also mention - and I say this as I have no clue as to whom you bought it from - but wholesalers should not be dealing with the public. This is against their code of ethics. If I found out one of my wholesalers was undercutting me by dealing direct with the public I would not hesitate to drop them. Sounds harsh, but we earn a living from our great customers, wholesalers earn a living from the shops that they supply!

Sounds like you have had a rough trot Lynley.

All part of the experience tho

so ya

chin up

and rock on.

A few things I was thinking as I read your post.....

after a couple of days the "whtie diamond" went lemon

I have seen this happen when people feed white discus food that is very high in astax.

lulz ensue as they wth?

beef heart home made food off him for my discus .. i had told him what else i had in my tank .... well ... it killed my ram ... 4 of them .. because it was too high in protein

not something I have experienced. I feed my rams on high protein.

rams are fickle little creatures tho

the food and deaths may not have been linked as closely as you suggest.

Only buy discus at the same time as then they are all new and more than likely get on.

hmmmm....

If I have established cichlids of any type

I never just add one more.

much better to add three!

spread out the aggression.

2 discus in a tank is fine if they are a breeding pair.

but other wise you want 6 or so

much less focused aggression that way.

Only buy from an Aquarium store as they will swap if the fish is not getting on with the others

not always

its a risk taking in a fish from the public

as lfs has no proof that the tank it came from

did not harbor a disease or parasite.

this forces them to quarantine returned fish

or risk having to treat an ENTIRE system

a costly affair in meds and lost sales.

Its a difficult situation for lfs and customer.

Of course the lfs wants to help

but not at the expense of going out of biznis

if they do it too often!

Thanks heaps for that. I have learned my lesson. Discus are amazing beautiful fish, I had no idea how special they are. Thank you very much for your advice and pass on. When i get a bigger tank i will get more discus and follow up on this ty.

I'm sorry for your loss! And sux that you had to go throug all that but I reckon you get what you pay for and quality service is one of those things! Like buying cheap stuff online.. You can't just go in and talk to them when something goes wrong and it seems most times people get lost in email land and end up with nothing more than heartbreak! Most Lfs will give dodgy advise to make a sale as well so chalk it all up to experience and use it to your advantage in the future!

+ 1 with lucky fish pet city is great!

I will NEVER do it again.. i once bought a long fin bristlenose albino from Bernies at Bundall, after a few weeks it went the most yuk colour .. like dirty .. we worked it out it must have been a cross or something... i wouldnt mind but it really didnt look nice ... they took it back no problem at all and swapped for me ... as it was not what i had purchased.!! Also let me swap a fish if it didnt work in my tank with aggression.. I have learned a lot this past year ... and yep .. this is one more thing.. ty for replies

ah that's a sucky experience mate, and a lot of money down the drain.

When purchasing expensive fish I always do my research just to make sure I don't loose a load of money, I've bought discus before but unfortantly I bought sick ones, 1 from an aquarium (thats closed down now) that had a diease that i didn't know about till he died a few days later and one from a live fish auction that died the next day from an infection. Always buy from a reputable breeder or a lfs that you can trust. I personally recommend Petcity as I've bought a lot of my fish from their and they always seem to know what the go is with their fish, what fish can go with what, what foods to feed them etc and I never see dead or sick fish in their tanks unlike some other places i've been too... but i'm to polite to name names :)

Happy birthday though Lynley :)

Thank you so much :-) i appreciate it very much. :-) I have written down the names mentioned for future use... maybe an easter present this time :_)

ssdiscus has wonderful discus and he's selling some atm on forum, seen his fish and they are awesome!

thank you for your time and reply. I have written it down all suggestions and names for future use. ty ty ty ....

I brought a albino bristlenose long fin from Bernies at Bundall and it went this yuk colour after a couple of weeks, more like a dirty albino colour, really not what i wanted at all... they took it back for me NO problem and replaced it... and also a fish who after a couple of days was just too aggressive in my tank and let me swap him... So i have never experienced a situation like this.... i understand they guy doesnt want to risk infecting his fish ... but easy ... have one separate tank to all the other set up for quarantine .. rather than once out the door "too bad ... no matter what .. no return" policy....

We live and learn .... and i LOVE my fish and sit with them for hours . . so harmony is really important to me... and they are all so intelligent .. my ram used to come to the front for me to pat them through the glass, my clown loach comes when i talk to him and sits and looks at me and listens .... so do my cory dory and my bristlenose .. he likes his time with me too ... Geee so easy to become a fish ADDICT hey :-) even my whiptails like their little pat through the glass and eye contact ... yep .. i am addicted

Edited by Lynley

I know what ya mean, I currently have a 2 that decided to stop eating full stop ... like wtf

All the others in the tank are eating everything thats offered .. I give the other 2 a few days before they go horizontal :(

Ohh that is so sad.. the blue turk would not let the little yellow one eat it broke my heart. I hope you get it seen to and they come good for you :-)

if you buy do not buy small 5-6cm get bigger one .. all the hard yard done for u ;) disucs it not the begining fish they just decide to die when they want nothing of your fault

Thanks for that, as i like to buy young and watch them grow and more like having your own baby .... but i will definately keep that in mind for my future buying of the discus ... they are a wonderful fish.

Sounds like you have had a rough trot Lynley.

All part of the experience tho

so ya

chin up

and rock on.

A few things I was thinking as I read your post.....

I have seen this happen when people feed white discus food that is very high in astax.

lulz ensue as they wth?

Hi :-) you always come to the rescue with some great advice. ty ty. I feed them live worm, frozen worm and frozen brine shrimp, also discus flakes and pellets.... I only use Spectrum.. IS that ok???? would that have turned the white one pale yellow..?

With water changes i use Neutral Regulator, Prime and stability .. I did get bought some discus trace by seachem as a present to go with them but only used it once.

I am and was very tight on cash at Christmas time so I could only afford the 2 .. and i only have 3 ft tank... they are small though.... I then thought it would be ok to add more ...ohh the blue turk was so beautiful and my friend was so happy to buy it for me for my birthday .....

so in future will buy in a group....

Yes i understand about people needing to keep in business ... but like i have mentioned ... Bernies at Bundall have taken a return when my albino bristlenose ended up becoming a dirty yuk colour .. more a mix ... they had no problem swapping for me .. and also when i got a fish that was just too aggressive in my tank they swapped for me and the next one fitted in beautiful... they have a great crew there and a manager of the fish dept and keep a close eye on their fish.... and also Aquarium and Petland at the Brickworks always stand behind their sale as well .. i got a ram who went on heat a couple of days in my tank and was over the top and they swapped her for me ... i think if you buy fish and sell these and your own privately as a wholesaler you should still look after clients and not tell them just too bad...... even have a tank just for quarantine... I know the 2 shops i go to are really full on.... both have told me on different occasions that they could not sell me what i wanted as they had spotted a dot .. so i would have to wait a week.... they keep a very close eye on their fish .. i like that... i understand what you are saying but if you dont have after sale look after clients then you lose your business anyway ... as word of mouth and no repeat customers... and i suppose we take a risk no matter where we buy from with disease that may not have been spotted at the shop or privately.... at least at Aquariums they stand behind their sale ... i suppose that is what my message was about... but i have written down who has been recommended by people on here and will follow up on that .... thanks again :-) learning learning learning all the time :-) and elliotti i was told are hardier than ram ... so maybe some of them next shop but none of the shops here have any...

It is illegal to refuse a refund if the item described is faulty or incorrect

See qld fair trading http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/AboutUs/QLD_refund_policy_poster.pdf

Livestock isn't considered faulty stock. Before we all start screaming ACCC -REPORT THEM, there are some things that don't actually fall under the general ACCC categories. Some items are gray area (such as extended warranties) but some items have to follow "ethical" guidelines. LIFE as in livestock are sunch things. If a fish doesn't get a long with another fish - that fish isn't faulty - it has a "personality" to use a humanising term. Yes, by law on some items, we must provide a cooling-off period (such as with puppies) and we have to work within "reasonable" terms on a health guarantee.

But no - livestock is not considered "faulty". There are too many variables once the stock leaves the shop - diet, environmental conditions, health and wellbeing.

This has been looked at by such associations as the ARA, the RSPCA and our solicitor.

would that have turned the white one pale yellow..?

none of those foods are very high in astax, so unlikely to be the food.

likely just a late development colour in a fish carrying the yellow gene.

.. i understand what you are saying but if you dont have after sale look after clients then you lose your business anyway

to a degree this is true.

how ever the customer must also understand that there will not always be free quarantine tanks for a lfs to be able to take back fish.

This has the potential to massively upset customers hence why most shops have a blanket rule on not taking back fish after 24 hours or so EXCEPT in exceptional cases.

If this costs them a customer..... well in my experience in the trade, spread over several lfs and 15 years.......... then its usually a stressful overly dramatic customer that another shop is welcome to.

I am certainly not saying this is true of you Lynley!

Heck already I am trying to sceme and plot how to steal you away from bernies and petland!

Anyway a lfs can offer great service, advice and support

even if they dont take back fish

If you are not worried about disease

then you have not had to nurse sick fish very much

in short

sick fish suck!

Get a quarantine tank.

You do not want to lose the fish you have now

just because you added another fish that ended up having something.

obvious stuff like white spot is easy dealt with

the more sneaky internal bacterials or viruses are not.

quarantine quarantine quarantine!

Oh and ellioti are awesome.

have about a hundred fry swimming around a tank at the moment.

such fat little critters lol