Luke Bartley

weird looking elec yellow???

hey i was wondering if anyone has come accross an ecetric yellow before that looks like this. i got with 5 others out of the same tank from the one seller. all the rest are great bar this one. it is bigger than the others and is wanting to dominate the tank if anyone thinks that would have anything to do with it?? what do yas reckon???

post-6378-14711625906739_thumb.jpg

post-6378-14711625907049_thumb.jpg

Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

Caeruleus colour morph? Don't know why it would of changed from yellow. I have a female yellow that I pulled from my main colony because she wasnt as yellow as I liked and she throws clutches of white babies. Awesome looking fry and I can't wait to grow them out to full size to have a really good look at them, I have over a hundred about 2 - 4 cms at the moment.

Caeruleus colour morph? Don't know why it would of changed from yellow. I have a female yellow that I pulled from my main colony because she wasnt as yellow as I liked and she throws clutches of white babies. Awesome looking fry and I can't wait to grow them out to full size to have a really good look at them, I have over a hundred about 2 - 4 cms at the moment.

let me get this right

you have a sub par elec cream that should be culled ?

you have bred her and she threw elec slightly yellows ?

you intend to grow the this pus fry out ?

what are your intentions with the fry once grown out ? feeders ?

my advice and the i would bet the advice of most of this forum would be to cull the female and all the fry TODAY

You don't quite have it right, she was removed from my breeding colony because she was sub par, I dont cull fish unless they are deformed which pretty much never happens to me. Fish that dont meet my standards go into one of my community tanks or a pond to live out their remaining days. I had stripped a few mouth fulls off of her before she was moved into the pond, the fry are not what I call 'electric creams' they are pure white with black fins I have done some research on it and it seems to be not that un-common. When I finnish this swing I will take some photos they are stunning looking fish as are my breeding yellows, I dont keep **** fish.

blokes ive found out today that this cichlid is a tropheous flavus righto. it must be a female and is just starting to colour up. dead set im not likeing it one bit ay. it is one big arse bully ha. i found out by rocking up to smiths aquariuarm today and seeing a few there which were very similar and after googeleing the name realized that this was the type.

"The "Electric Yellow" morph is just one of almost a dozen different morphologies seen in this species through out the lake. These other morphs go either unnoticed, ignored, or forgotten by most hobbyists because of the omnipresent availability of the "Electric Yellow". This color variant, while more rare in the lake, enjoys a distribution in the hobby that would easily out number the wild population by probably several hundred-fold. In fact, the "Electric Yellow" that is so popular today was only recently discovered (about 15 years ago)."

:)

Labidochromis caeruleus

If its a yellow

its an electric yellow crossed with a saulosi.

Possibility is quite high, I have seen Electric Yellow crossed breed with saulosi before. Classic example is the display tank in Sunnybank shopping outside Commonwealth bank does have some female saulosi that are holding with black stripes and somes with black dorsal fin which we all know female saulosi shouldn't have black dorsal fins.

electric whites $669ea @3-4cm haha , or white morph electric yellow bit more expensive than common lol come on weve all seen em :)

id say your fish is a mbuna m8 or xbred yellow with mbuna (see the black masking on the face) ,,,,,,

oh and ricksfish there are different morphs of yellow but no white or blue ones m8 , blue ones have black bars and are called chismule

let me get this right

you intend to grow the this pus fry out ?

what are your intentions with the fry once grown out ? feeders ?

Hey guys,

Just my 2 cents but as far as i knew there were yellow, white and blue color morphs of the elec yellow species.

I have seen blue and white colour morphs of electric yellows before :D

infact....... caeruleus is latin for blue

image.php?id=1667&pic=1

the mbuna in this thread tho

looks like one of the many species

that starts off yellow

and the goes blue/black

At one point Andrea Watts posted a map of Malawi with all the Labidochromis caeruleus locality colour morphs on it.

pretty awesome variety of them

saulosi mix is my guess

but as an example heres a msobo

MsoboChange.jpg

The most common mbuna hybrids I see are johanni/interuptus mixed with something like afra/zebra/auratus/trewavassae etc.

One of the big signs its a hybrid is not just when a yellow changes colour as it matures

but when it starts to bash the heck out of every single other fish in the tank

keep in mind

a single egg in a batch can be fertilized by a different male

sneaky!

The most common mbuna hybrids I see are johanni/interuptus mixed with something like afra/zebra/auratus/trewavassae etc.

One of the big signs its a hybrid is not just when a yellow changes colour as it matures

but when it starts to bash the heck out of every single other fish in the tank

keep in mind

a single egg in a batch can be fertilized by a different male

sneaky!

Would love to see Red Zebra+ Electric Yellow+ Demasoni=???????:) You tell what they are Donny:):P