Have an 8x2x2 & do 10% water changes every couple of weeks, add some prime & about a handfull of salt.

Have been doing this for a while with no trouble but have thought?? How much salt should I be actually adding??

Is the handful enough or am I wasting my time. Is there a measured dose that is applicable for normal water changes? adding for desease? or just introducing new fish??

thoughts would be appreciated.

I would love to hear what people have to say about this. I am a newby and am not sure whether I need to add salt and how much and how often. I have a freshwater planted tank 650L. Looking to turn it into a community discus tank. Thanks in advance guys and gals

Not sure why you would add salt at all. Epsom salt yeah, but thats not a real salt. Salt in general has a negative effect on fish. If you was to add salt I would only add a pinch for the whole tank, its meant to be a trace element, not a major element in the tank. And would only be if your tap water is lacking in salt, which most are not.

Most of those say it can be used in a medication purpose for removing ich like parasites. That would be ok. Though its fair to remember that the addition of salt will still hurt the fish, just hopefully not as much as the parasite yas trying to kill.