roboat

Some specs needed

Just trying to clear up some specs, I just built a stand for my 3ft and will be using a 2ft tank as a sump for it. Still need to pic up a tank for that and put the dividers in. The 3ft tank is 190L by dimensions and was wonderig what size pump I should use for the return from the sump.

I have a 1500 lph pondmate in a diy canister at the moment it does around 950lph at 1m head by the charts. Is this enough or should I step up to a 2000 lph pump that does around 1100 lph at 1m head.

For the overflow I was thinking just a 1" bulkhead, it will only return as much water as is pumped back no matter the size?

The sump is probably massive overkill for the tank but I am looking at keeping a pair of german blue rams, trio of pep bn's, 25 cardinal tetras and 6 kuhli loaches with the possibility of some shrimp. I just personally like having sumps really.

m8 i have a 4' x18" x 18" with a 2ft sump that has a 2000lph pump i think it has a 1500lph at 1.5m rating it filters that tank wonderfully 2 inlets at 32mm

but then my 6' x18 x 20 has a 2000lph with a rating of 2000lph at 2m( not that i really trust whats said on the box) with a 3' x 380mm x 380mm sump and i have 3 inlets that r 1inch on that and its great

both sumps have 20mm returns and both r drilled thru the bottom and it was easy to do

i have made the media spaces in 380mm and stacked them on egg crate with gutter guard bio balls ceramic noodles coral as the media using lenghts of pvc pipe to seperate the layers i used 380mm square as it is the exact dimensions of the jap sponge the 3ft has 760mm x 380mm for 2 pieces

I would say the 1500lph would be plenty for a 190L tank... at 950lph with 1m head thats the tank done 5 times an hour.

With the overflow I'd go with two 1" bulkheads to be safe just in case one gets blocked up... especially if you're going to have plants in there which going by your fish list I'm guessing you will.

Check out these sites to get an idea of what drain size you'll need for your desired flowrate.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules/Over ... 6b41face02

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

(this site is down at the moment but it should be back up soon)

I will probably just go with a single 1" bulkhead which will flow what I need. Not really worried about it blocking as it won't be running anywhere near it's limits and a strainer will help. I am currently using 1500 lph pondmate in a diy canister and it is flowing no where near 950 lph in my oppinion but I think that is due to 1/2" intake and outlet to the canister (my design fault).

Soon to be sump arrives this arvo thanks to whiteknight, then i'll just have to get cracking on a way to drill the tank with fish in there (don't have the tools ie my wtb thread) and then i'll have to move the tank with fish and all onto the stand. To do that I guess I just drain as much water possible but enough for fish and then pick it up and put it on the stand. Then i'll prob have to fill the tank up a bit and do the plumbing then fill it up more lol.

Soon to be sump arrives this arvo thanks to whiteknight, then i'll just have to get cracking on a way to drill the tank with fish in there (don't have the tools ie my wtb thread) and then i'll have to move the tank with fish and all onto the stand. To do that I guess I just drain as much water possible but enough for fish and then pick it up and put it on the stand. Then i'll prob have to fill the tank up a bit and do the plumbing then fill it up more lol.

:boggle: good luck with that mate id be putting the fish in the 2 footer while u work on the 3 :ewink:

Hey roboat,

That sounds like quite a mission...

Do you know how heavy a partially filled 3ft will be? Damn heavy!!

If you did risk it this way I'd get some extra buckets just in case, oh and maybe some steel cap boots...

Make sure you show some pics of the finished item, the filtration will be impressive!

For drilling I will just get someone to hold a piece of 40mm pipe duct tape to a vacuum with some rubber to seal on the back. I think I will just find temperary places for the fish and drain it as much as I can don't really want to risk the silicone giving way from twisting :|. I may leave this project on the backburner until I get a pump for my 2 teir 4ft as all the fish in this tank are going to be split up in the 2 4fts.