Jon

Adding fish to new tank and PH levels

Hey guys,

I will be moving my GT's between tanks soon and after testing the water in both tanks I found the PH in their current tank is around 6.6 which I realize is very low for cichlids. The new tank is at approx. 8.0 which is good.

The other parameters are sitting nice in both tanks, although the Nitrate in the old tank is a bit higher than I would like (water changes incoming).

So my question is, do fish suffer from a sudden change in PH levels when going between tanks? Should I raise the PH level before the swap?

What could be causing the PH in the old tank to be so low? They have been in the tank for nearly 3 years no trouble. There is a large amount of driftwood in the tank, maybe that is dropping the PH? In saying that there is a few chunks of sandstone in the new tank which would be raising its levels.

Thanks!

Jon

A lot of fish will not like a dramatic Ph change and can kill em. As Shanoz says above move a good portion like 75% of your water from the old tank and put it in the new tank and gradually change the Ph. Perhaps a waterchange daily or every couple of days to bring it up to 8.

Could be a few things bringing down the Ph - so what is the Ph out of the tap or the water source?

It may not be a question of why your Ph is low it may be just what you have in your new tank making it high if you get what I mean...

GT's would live quite comfortably in 6.6PH, 8.0 is more African cichlid type of PH, Not saying the GT's won't live in it but just saying the 6.6 is better than 8

But just run a drip with some airline and a peg from the new water to the bucket they are in, Leave that for and hour or 2 and put the fish in the new tank, Always worked for when moving fish from tanks with diff PH

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am doing a 50% water change on the tank the fish are in at the moment to drop the nitrates and hopefully lift the ph a bit. The water I'm filling it up with has a PH of around 7.6-7.8. I'll do this over next few days before I put them into their new home.

Cheers,

Jon.