graham058

electric current running through tank

hi all feeling silly asking this but i just got home from work and went to rearrange my fish tank as i put my hand in the water i felt a zapping feeling on my finger noticed i had a small cut on it but when i put a finger with out a cut on it in the tank i dont fell any thing any ideas what it could be the only thing i have with a lead in the tank is a internal filter i have and external filter running and a air stone only problem is i though if there were a electrical problem i would feel it on all fingers not just the one with a cut on it i thought

If you've got even a small amount of salt in your tank it could have simply been a case of eloctrolysis. An open wound would be more sensitive to it. Any running motor in a salt solution will create electrolysis.............nothing to worry about

If u had electricity running into your water your fish would be gawnnn. sure its not just a sting from the chemicals hitting ur cut

Ah no the fish wouldn't die as there is no difference in the potential voltages, so therefore no electric shock,

@graham058 - if your getting a mild tingle I'd get a sparky to check your equipment you use in ur tank, or replace it

Also have u noticed the tingling feeling anywhere else, shower,sink, etc,

If you have I would take a guess and say you might have a loose connection in your earthing system, if not there's obviously something in ur tank which is broken, take ur heaters out and look for damage,etc, etc.

bidkev oh ok tyvm i have been putting salt in my tank and only feel the feeling in my cut finger no other fingers when i turn the internal filter off ithe feeling goes

cav the feeling is the same as the won you get from a tap or sink but i dont get any from them in the house im in

Edited by graham058

Thank you very much all for your help just one question if it were a earthing problem do you think i would feel the same thing if i put mut finger in my daughtets tank which has a internalerfilter as well i tried it and got nothing only difference between the two tanks is my tank has salt in it

this is crazy!! the same thing happend to me today,i put my hand in the tank to scoop out a few cherries and bam a jolt up my arm,i immediately turned all the power off in my shed grabbed a torch and checked all the fish in that system,they were all fine.i have put it down to a light that a sponge filter was splashing up into,i unplugged the light and moved it the kept catching shrimp with no problems.my first thought was all the fish got zapped aswell but all are still fine.

I also have had this problem and did as "VEGASMICK" said and it came down to my internal filter, I have no idea how long it had been like that and never noticed a difference in my fish's behavior so can't be to bad but still removed filter to be safe

Pretty sure the resistance in a fishes body would have a potential difference than the water so if it is it will use the fish as a parth back along the neutral??????

Electricity like water will always take the path of least resistance, so the current will flow around the fish,

The only way ur fish will get a shock is if they come in contact with live parts.

the reason graham058 got a shock was that he was at a different potential voltage (ie 0v) while the fish tank was at 240v,

Electricity like water will always take the path of least resistance, so the current will flow around the fish,

The only way ur fish will get a shock is if they come in contact with live parts.

the reason graham058 got a shock was that he was at a different potential voltage (ie 0v) while the fish tank was at 240v,

Hey cav yea i understand the basic fundamentals being a 4th year sparky but we never got into stuff involving water i was more or less asking a question but ill explain what i was meaning.

So we all know water is a large conductor but in saying that water itself is not.conducive its the impurities in the water itself. so when we put our media into filters we are trying to remove the impurities. which is then going to make the water have a higher resistance.

Where i would think that if a fish being id say made up of water could possibly have less resistance than the water and if the fish then inhales the water that would be putting the current through the fish.

That was just my thinking not trying to be a wank was just having a think while driving.

Shane

I have found a little cut on the finger a great way to find small electrical faults. Can be a filter, a little leak in the heater, etc. Isolate and replace damaged bit.

I do recall saying that long term the slight current is beleived to have some effects but can't remember what they were - I think something to do with the lateral line.

Have certainly had tanks with fully blown heaters with no health issues for fish but give a big kick to me. The good old days before trip switches....

Kill the power to the tank and retest.

If it stops happening turn on one item at a time and test each time until you find the culprit.

If the electricals are ok Salt or Ammonia in the water can cause those sensations in a cut or where you have broken skin.

Edited by aussie123