sic lid

snail invasion advice needed

Hi all

I have a 165lt tank set up with breeding comon bristle nose and butterfly plecos.I got a couple of caves off a guy and there must have been snail eggs in it,now I have hundreds of the *******s.I can transfer fish to another tank and treat with chlorine which I have seen in other posts but what about the plants and wood etc? I have just been throwing hand fulls into my big cichlid tank every so often to keep on top of them but my son recons the snails were eating the bristle nose eggs. I would prefer not to NUKE the tank,some have said clown loaches clean up the snails but what will they do to bristle nose fry?

Cheers for reading,advice will be appreciated.

your never really going to get rid of them mate, my trick is to just put some food in a net, lay it at the bottom of the tank, wait for it to fill with snails, when you go to move it the catties will swim away but the snails will be left in the net, scoop em up and throw them and put the net back in to get more....also take any clay logs, ornaments etc, empty them of snails, lay them out in the sun to kill any snail eggs then put them back in the tank. Every time I see a snail I just throw it out or squash it and leave it for the shrimps to clean up :)

if you add clown loaches you will have no snails, it might take a bit, but we had snails in our display tank, since adding clowns we now have 00000 snails, we tried everything else, even drained the tank and left it dry, but as soon as we added water, we had snails again, when we redo our sump, we are going to add clowns to it, i found the eggs will even go through the pipes and sumps to end up in every tank, if you have a system, i found pakies/yoyo love the cone snails, but not the little black ones as much, clowns love them all........

Loaches will not completely remove snails but will stay on top of there population ..you may not see any snails but believe me they are there..remembering they start as small as a pin head. Also if you dont want loaches in your tank, once they are removed within a few months your snails will return.

For bare tanks the success of loaches is far greater for obvious reasons, there's no where to hide :)

If you have a display/breeder tank with ornaments plants etc.. Loaches will not fully eradicate them.

IMO if you want to get rid of them, pull your live stock out (leave plants in) and dose with Condy's Crystals (Potassium Permanganate) leave for 24hrs, this will not kill your plants but is lethal to most/all snails. Remembering to wipe down all your braces and lid lips as some snails crawl above the waters edge to lay there eggs. Empty and wipe/rinse out the tank, fill back up with seeded water and your away.

To me adding fish that are not wanted in the aquarium as snail eater's is always the last resort..If anything the waste the extra fish produce will only feed the growing snail population..

Edited by FIIK

we tried that fiik, but it didn't work for us, we even replaced the gravel, 2 days we ran the tank with purple water after adding Condy's Crystals (Potassium Permanganate) but within a month we had snails again......

but i do agree if you really don't want clowns then i'd try other methods, for us we added 4 clowns to our display tank and they fit in with our other fish, and 6 months later, not a snail to see, they might be there, but as soon as they show there shells, they are eaten,

i have used strawberry plastic containers, put a couple rocks in for weight, then put washed lettuce in it, put in at night and take out in the morning, doesn't get them all, but will keep them under control, we used this in our bn fry tanks, just had to remove the bn fry from containers and put them back into the tank,

If your refering to the malaysian trumpet snail (melanoides sp.), they are not a snail that lays eggs. they are a live bearing snail and parthenogenetic (meaning an organism that contains both male and female organs). internal fertilisation where the eggs fertilised by the adult move into a modified 'pouch' where there are differnt stages of development. when the baby snail is ready, it literally crawls out of the parent (from just behind the head i think) one of the annoying things is though that u can kill the parent but the eggs inside can still mature and form baby eggs. one snail shell, with one egg can start it all over again. and yes they are as small as a pin head when they u can see them they're probably already producing mini thems. they can also hide under silicone and pretty much everywhere in your tank. no easy way to get rid of them once there.

thanks lennox, that was them, if nothing else i learnt something new, :) i had an idea they didn't lay eggs, but that will also explain why they came back, most likely a shell or 2 stuck in something that went back into the tank,

i did enjoy watching the yoyo loaches dig for them, and rip them out of the shells, before having to move the yoyos due to sucking on the discus and replacing them with clowns,

thanks heaps for clearing that up,

no probs. i have also experimented with them and found them to be relatively useful in some scenarios.... for instance, had some fairly hard water and calcium rich, mainly from the substrate, i threw a few of these guys in the tank and just forgot about it for a while and let them do there thing... after i noticed a decent amount of adults appearing, i started collecting them with an algae log in a good old bottle bottom at night (removed a couple of hours aftr lights out). with a decent number of snails, they actually soften the water the more there are and they bigger they grow, the faster this occurs.... only problem then is that you have a tank full of these little b****rds!! but hey, softer water can be worth it esp. if ur only doing minimal water changes / top ups from the tap.

I've also found that my red forest jewel absolutely LOVES snails. He's in a tank with my clown loaches but he's always the first to attack the snails. I put hunks of food in my other tanks and wait for the snails to invade it, then drop it in the jewel/clown tank and watch them go into a crazy feeding frenzy. Since my clown loaches are still quite small, he is also able to eat the bigger snails that they can't quite manage.

It's really awesome watching him stalk and line up his prey before shooting forward and eating the snail. And for what it's worth, their tank has absolutely no snails despite dropping in 10-20 almost weekly (I guess technically I have a snail problem but since finding them a cheap and easy food source I don't mind encouraging it).

I have these little black snails in my planted tank and they are a pain. what I do (because I have cherry shrimp) is what someone else suggested before. I put a zucchini in a fish net. When the snails jump on the zucchini I pull it out and pop it in my big tank with Cichlids - They love em.

Its a bit of an ongoing job for me but I reckon one day I might win the battle.

I know you all suggest clowns and treating the tank with crystals but I can't do that. Clowns will eat my shrimp and I don't have another tank to transfer my shrimp etc.

I believe mine came with a heap of plants I bought a while ago. I had none till I put the plants in.

so if you have Cichlids in another tank, catch the little buggers and pop them in with the Cichlids and watch the frenzy :) Your Cichlids will think its christmas

I have these little black snails in my planted tank and they are a pain.

I believe mine came with a heap of plants I bought a while ago. I had none till I put the plants in.

so if you have Cichlids in another tank, catch the little buggers and pop them in with the Cichlids and watch the frenzy :) Your Cichlids will think its christmas

yep, thats how we got snails, i think 99% are got that way, i find the same thing, the tanks with cichlids are normall clean of snails, only difference is i noticed the cone snails are in with my red top zebs, they don't seem to eat them, and when i had colbalt zebs they didn't eat the black snails, i also noticed when i remove a breeding pair of americans to let the fry have the tank it then becomes full of snails, so the buggers still manage to lay eggs even when they are getting eaten, :)

If your refering to the malaysian trumpet snail (melanoides sp.), they are not a snail that lays eggs.
Remembering to wipe down all your braces and lid lips as some snails crawl above the waters edge to lay there eggs. Empty and wipe/rinse out the tank, fill back up with seeded water and your away.

To me adding fish that are not wanted in the aquarium as snail eater's is always the last resort..If anything the waste the extra fish produce will only feed the growing snail population..

Yes lennox I am aware of this, hence the word "some".

I still stand by the use of Condy's, chucking unwanted loaches in is a waste of time.

The other thing is .. dump your caves, nets, heaters everything into the condy's bath to be positive they will not return.

There are many methods to control population but only a few that will destroy it.

People just need to make there minds up - do you wana fight snails for the rest of your days ...

I have seen 40 tank systems riddled with them ... with the owner only to say "if I had just bathed that one plant I would have none"

Control Vs Eradication ...you decide