Matmatmat

Ranchu and water depth?

I have been reading lots lately about ranchu and lots of overseas breeders and showers of fancy goldfish keep and condition them in just inches of water.. I have read many reasons as to why. Was just after opinions and reasons as to how deep yours are kept and why?

My tanks are full as I figure the more water the more stable the conditions. I'm not trying to condition one particular trait, head growth , fins ect... Just aiming at happy health fish for now!

Fancy goldfish were developed as pets long before glass aquaria were invented.....they have been breed to be most aesthetic when viewed from above

Traditionally they are kept and displayed in ceramic glazed bowls or shallow ponds....not all glass aquariums

Most modern aquarium fish are best viewed in Elevation

Fancy goldfish should be seen from above in plan view.....like fancy catfish!

I whole heatedly agree with that, traditionally they were all top view.. Now with the addition of glass comes the newer strains of side view fish, I know that water flow can certainly affect the shape of a fish also fin and tail growth! Just sort of wondering about whether the different depths I.e water pressure difference between 5 inches and 18 inches may have on development? Especially as my ranchu seem to prefer to feed off the bottom so therefore spend more time 18 or so inches under water? Hope I'm making sense?

I have been reading a bit, and a lot of the stuff I have read of the small bowls is so that the fish does not get too much exercise. Too much exercise and they don't get that fat traditional Norm look, or develop long flowing fins. Traditional keeping also relied on lots of water change to keep the conditions right, as obviously the fancy filters didn't exist.

Steve

I go for something in the middle...I look at around 30cm(sometimes a little deeper for the big guys) for ranchu....a bit deeper for your orandas and definitely for ryukins & fantails(up to 2ft deep)...the ranchu feed off the bottom and deeper water definitely has effects on the tail finnage(maybe on the bladder too with more pressure with deeper water)....surface area or the "footprint" size is more important with the ranchu than the depth....but also depends on what you want...side view or top view!?!