Ashlum

a questions for the science / chem people

Hello, I have a pile of powder coated stainless steel mesh used in those security screen doors. Does anyone have knowledge of the toxicity of the powder coating as I was planning of using a 1ft x 2ft piece for a moss wall in a shrimp tank and then sell the rest????? I suspect it may be fine but wanted to see if any of the chem people out there would know.

cheers

;)

try stick a magnet to it, if its steel it'll grab, if its ally it wont.

quite a few different grades of stainless too, so depending what grade it is, theres a chance it may rust especially if your cutting it and exposing the ss... will be a sharp edge too once its cut

The magnet thing is not 100% either unfortunately.. The different grades of stainless also have different properties hence why other than the fact you don't want to hide that fact that you just spent $3000 on a stainless fridge the magnets won't stick! Can't offer any advice on the paint though sorry. :( although if it turns out you can't use the mesh, plastic gutter guard is great for moss walls and is really really cheap! Just needs to be weighted down. HTH

Thanks Donny. What flame colours do I look for??

Tried the magnet test Ash but doesn't hold so not sure what grade that means the stuff is. Worth a try. Lol

Hey Mat. I currently use gutter mesh but I find it too flexible because when I tie fishing line to it, the mesh just bends. My local bunnings just doesnthave anything too flexible. I was thinking of smearing silicon over edges where I cut the stuff. Have rubbed fingers over edge and it's not too sharp. Have also put a small piece in water to see if it rusts

Cheers all. Thanks for advice ;)

Edited by Ashlum

Normally I wouldn't suggest sensing traffic to other forums but one of the stickies at al a guy

Mentions he uses poster hangers to slide his mesh into so it stays square. These are the plastic things that shops use. There is a pos store in west end near boundary street that sells it there. He's tested it in his shrimp tank