aLkAh0LiK

Dog Face Puffer.

Howdy Folks,

I know the Dog Face Puffer is a marine fish, but could there ever be any change it would survive in a fresh water tank? Or is their some type of puffer that looks similar for fresh water?

Please assist, other wise my poor African's might be going up for sale or trade very quickly..

My misses saw one of these amazing little puffers today, & wants one..

Please anyone & everyone with advise please assist..

Regards,

Jonce.

disconnect a airstone and gently insert into most fish and ooollaah you have a puffer lol:razz: (kiddies, do not try this at home)

Not certain, but think there are fresh water puffers???

no point in undoing your current display, make the missus happy and setup a small cubed marine tank..win/win both ways

The thing I never understood was that when you go fishing after a decent rain - all you would catch is puffers. To the point where you could drink the water on top. You generally never saw and dead ones floating about a few days after and would have thought that if any fish was able to be converted it would be the puffers.

Use to love scratchin their tummies and making them fill up with air and then let em go like a little power boat on top of the water.

The thing I never understood was that when you go fishing after a decent rain - all you would catch is puffers. To the point where you could drink the water on top. You generally never saw and dead ones floating about a few days after and would have thought that if any fish was able to be converted it would be the puffers.

Use to love scratchin their tummies and making them fill up with air and then let em go like a little power boat on top of the water.

lol, can see you being in charge of filling the ballons at parties:razz:

Yes most brackish water fish can be converted. Easy with bream, Scats, Monos etc.. But with puffers it takes alot longer then normal, Some people say they threw it straight into fresh, Some people said they used the water it came out of, With an airline tube syphoning fresh water into it doing it really slowly.

Could always try it.. Dont think there is any size limits on them..

And then the next step is getting it to eat.. And they have razor sharp plated teeth I think so be careful with other fish..

Yes most brackish water fish can be converted. Easy with bream, Scats, Monos etc.. But with puffers it takes alot longer then normal, Some people say they threw it straight into fresh, Some people said they used the water it came out of, With an airline tube syphoning fresh water into it doing it really slowly.

Could always try it.. Dont think there is any size limits on them..

And then the next step is getting it to eat.. And they have razor sharp plated teeth I think so be careful with other fish..

your not wrong there, saw one getting fed live food at a lfs, them teeth made a quick meal of it lol

Anyone got one? That can advise if they are angry? Or placid? Could I hand feed it squid bits, in a freshwater tank? Would it live or die? I'm nearly read to kill or sell my Cherry Red Shrimp, put them all into the tank to have a short life, in their new home.

Cheers for all the answers, I just want to know if you can all give me a "Yes" or "No" answer. While I appreciate all your input I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has owned one or has had experience with a dog face puffer into fresh water, with African Cichlids, & how it all paned out for them. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it all.

Regards,

Jonce

Edited by aLkAh0LiK
typo

nope dog face puffers are purely marine fish, even toadfish can't live in freshwater for very long as they will succomb to fungal infections and die

there are a few species of "freshwater" puffers around, but even they are brackish, some petstores sell them as banded puffers, i think livefish.com usually has them - but i'd deffs be keeping them in brackish water.

If you try it you will kill it. Arothron nigropunctatus is a full marine puffer usually found in the coral reefs up North up to Asia - NOT in estuarys.

Buy your missus a marine tank - and a big one if she wants it so badly - as these guys regularly reach over 30cm (up to 40) in adulthood. Before you ask, no they aren't coral safe at all so you can't mix them! They make an awesome pet though and are very smart. I had one in my old shop that if I didn't feed him what he liked, he'd spit water up into the lights. Back in the day when the next tank over had a pendant halide that made mess. Hah! I showed him and got a lamp with a cover. Watch your fingers, they regularly bite the hand that feeds them in their excitement.