ScottRock

Caudopunks Breeding

Hi guys,

My caudopunks are breeding but only 10 fry at a time. I've read they should have around 40 fry. Has anyone breed these fish before? I'm concerned I should be doing something for them and I'm also worried about the low fry number.

So far I have four generations in a two foot tank. The first batch are about two centimetres long. I'll have to either buy a larger tank for them or start selling some. So if you're interested in acquiring some pretty little and pretty punks, let me know. They should be big enough for a new home in a few months.

It sound like they are a relatively young pair. A young pair will have smaller spawns and with continued practice have bigger and bigger spawns. The numbers quoted for spawns are ofter quite large and misleading - they are for a mature pair.

The other thing that can happens with shellies is as they are secretive spawners they can have a spawn, and you know nothing until they are quite large. This means if you miss the start of feeding fry food, you can lose many fry before you see them. I tend to always assume my shellies have fry and feed accordingly.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Welcome!

hey Scott

i used to breeed Caudo's by the 1000000000000"s lol

fantastic little fish, the finnage on these guy's is just mindblowing, if you give direct sunlight into the tanks, or really good lighting, the colours are just out of this world, in relation to the low fry number, thats perfectly fine, maybe start conditioning them up after and prior to each spawn, live foods are well received. also can you tell us more about the tank set up, these guy's do like little rocky set ups to breed in etc etc

have fun great fish

Ray