beastybulls

one absolute gutted man

hey peeps, this will b our final night of power for quite some time, we r just about to get hit with the highest flood eva,been workin like a ******* all day trying to secure my home, as a firie ive been workin with the swiftwater guys for a few days, but then we got the word this morn that we have to evac, its now past that point as rd is closed, im about to loose 29 large Burundi and 36x 6-7 cm fry, thats without my other cichlids, it has taken me awhile to establish my fish because of my distance, im just one gutted exhausted bloke, not lookin forward to whats ahead, the loss of my fish, and a very real pos of water through my house, they r expecting up to 15mtrs of water, our record prior was 13.4 mtrs, nothin much i can say, numb

levee bank is 14.5 mtrs

Edited by beastybulls
more info

First things first mate...I agree with the previous posts.... You guys spend a life time of ensuring the safety of others. Now its time for you to concentrate on you and your family...

On the subject of your fish...You don't have any battery air pumps or anything battery operated you can use to create power? No generators available to you?

I'm sure you've thought of everything and I am sorry this is happening....and more hard work ahead that I'm sure you don't want to think about at the moment....

Take care out there....I just had word the Moonie Highway is about to be closed

keep your chin up mate...preferabally above the water.

nothing can be as devastating as a flood, it will suck to lose so much but as long as you hang onto those that are close to you, then im sure all will be fine.

After seeing the floods in brisbane personally, my heart goes out to you mate, i sincerely wish you and the family all the best! And as has been said, as long as you and family are safe, thats all that matters, fish, belongings and even your home can be replaced. Stay safe and try not to worry about things out of your control

All the best, sam

so sorry to hear of this :( Big hugs to you, for some hobbyists your fish are such a huge part of your life due to the time and effort involved in their upkeep and in developing the colonies/tanks........ and just the fact that we raise them from fry etc,.......so much respect for your feelings of loss.

Exhaustion wont help either when it comes to emotion so I hope something positive occurs out of this experience that can lift your spirits, even if its just the increased closeness to your family and friends as a result of the ordeal your facing <3

Will have my fingers crossed for you and your fish <3

Edited by relle
typo

Wish you luck in all of this situation mate. If you lose your fish dont stress. Im sure between all of the qldaf forum we could organise a fish or two for you.

You should be able to get away without heaters on the fish, are the tanks going under? How bout a wheelie bin, stick it up on the carport and fill it up? Might have to shade it in the day time but hey, maybe some will live? :) Airation just pour cups of water fill and empty fill and empty.

Stay safe though above all else. We're thinking of you.

Hey spring hill auctions coming up in March. Yell out what you'd like and maybe we could stick em on a plane out to ya? Auctions not that far from the Bris airport. :D

Oh that's terrible, Stay safe mate, hold those you love close and high up..houses and fish can be replaced..Hoping your outcome is not as expected ...Hugz.

Best of luck to you and your loved ones. I hope the water stays out of your house and the tanks are up high. I went through this a year ago, having no electricty for over 5 days, stuck in flood waters, I kept most of my fish alive for the 1st 24hours by foot pump ( the manual ones that you pump up air matresses with), rotating between 5 tanks, with no sleep. Then got my hands on a generator for the next 4days that I had to keep stopping and refuelling every 8 hours... All the bloody best to ya!!!

Stay safe Pete!!

Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this traumatic time!! Your a top bloke.. For Selflessly giving time out to help others who are also in need!!

Damn shame. Best of luck to you mate :(

On another note: I can't believe (actually I can) the QLD government's planned recovery efforts...

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD (2hrs ago)

The Queensland government on Sunday announced it will provide disaster recovery grants of $1765 for individuals and $5300 for families in Mitchell, with more affected towns likely to be added to the list.

What a joke this Government is.

as the others have said, the fish are not first priority

BUT

my advice would be to try save your best female frontosa.

With a good girl you can recover quickly.

If that means moving the rest out so you just have 1 fish in the tank

then maybe that is what you have to do

its all a gamble

but that would increase odds of survival

the fry could be bagged up

1 per bag

and put in a styro box

once power goes out

they can survive quite a while bagged

especially when rebagged every 4 or 5 hours

i cannot believe the responce i have been shown, it tears at my heart and brings a tear to my eye, i thank each and every one of u, they say we could be out for at least 7-10 days, we have only but a few hrs today to get to higher ground, i have no idea as yet to where i will camp up at, at least my son and his fam r out safe, my wife, stubborn thing wouldnt leave, we have quite a few swiftwater teams in town, for which some gave me some assistance late yesty when they found i was near exhaustion, but only from another fire fighter, each of these gentleman are from all ova the state, and i wish to thank them also, the heartache is phenomonal, i lay awake for hrs thinkin of what i have to do, trying to sort it all out, again thankyou

you and your community are in my thoughts, stay safe. So sorry this is happening to you.

As woodie said, you need your strength, and people will pitch in and help.

Take care

Fingers crossed for you. We were struck nearby here with last years floods and it is never nice.

If you ever need anything blankets etc flick us a pm. We stocked heaps last year to be on the safe side. I also have a few spare tanks (plastic 21 litre) and battery operated pumps I can send up to you when the waters subside. Im sure I can grab some dog food too for your furries.

My thoughts are with you - cannot imagine the fear you are all experiencing right now wondering what may happen. Shall watch this thread to see how you go (and any other members in the same situation) to see if there is any way I can help.

I have just spoken to Pete. He has done all he can with the house, and hopefully has a gennie to run air for his fish.

He, and his family are safe.

I have forwarded everyones regards, well wishes and offers of assistance again onto him. He has been extremely humbled by the response, deeply appreciative and gratefull for everyone's support, and has asked me to pass this on to all.

I have told him to keep himself and family safe, and no matter what happens, we as a community will do whatever we can to help one of our own if and when it is required.

I will let you all know updates when I speak to him next.

cheers

Drew

Edited by Kadango