Eximius

Need help with new Angelfish!

Hey guys,

Picked up 2 angelfish today, one of them looks and is swimming around fine however the other one seems to be drifting alot in the flow of water as well as spending alot of time near the top of the tank with its nose up seeming like it is trying to eat the bubbles that are floating there but not actually going for them. This particular Angel also did not seem interested in the food I put in the tank (Normal angel went after it quick smart).

My pH is a little high around 7.2-7.3 trying to get this down but it's going slowly. Haven't tested my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in 3 days, at the time they were all extremely low. I cycled my tank using Stability and by letting a prawn head rot away in the water for a week before adding the fish. Other angel and 2x bristlenose appear to be doing fine.

I have turned my internal filter off as I suspect it was generating too powerful a flow for the Angels, I'll have to get some sort of tubing to smooth this out.

Just a bit concerned for my 2nd angel and looking for some advice as to what is wrong and solutions to fix it.

Ph:- 7.2ish

Ammonia:- N/A

Nitrate:- N/A

Nitrite:- N/A

Gh:- N/A

Kh:- N/A

Size of tank:- 6 foot, 385L

Temperature °C:- 26 degrees

Been running for:- 10 days

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- Fluval 405

Fish in tank:- 2x angel 2x bristlenose

Plants in Tank:- 2x Anubis, 2x amazon sword, 2x fern balls

Feeding:- What food and How often, Ocean Nutrition flakes, morning and night (only had fish for half a day)

Recent Medication Treatments:- Nil

Last water change:- Nil

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly, I will be doing 30% every fortnight.

Edited by Eximius

1. hard without the water checks :P

2. New fish like to settle in

3. the internals probly not a worry angels tend to find a still eddy current to stay in

4. If theres ammonia or nitrite in the water they might be after air try adding an airstone?

(are the bristlenoses swimming to the surface?)

1. hard without the water checks :P

2. New fish like to settle in

3. the internals probly not a worry angels tend to find a still eddy current to stay in

4. If theres ammonia or nitrite in the water they might be after air try adding an airstone?

(are the bristlenoses swimming to the surface?)

Hi,

The affected Angelfish died last night, the bristlenose and other angel are fine so far, actually looking pretty good.

Ammonia: Less then 0.2ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I'm thinking it was just a dodgy fish from a dodgy store that couldnt handle the rapid change in water and the trip. One of the staff members from the store actually told me, I quote, "Fish are very temperamental and will just die randomly for no reason".

Thanks jacobraven anyway, new tank syndrome sucks I guess?

Hi,

The affected Angelfish died last night, the bristlenose and other angel are fine so far, actually looking pretty good.

Ammonia: Less then 0.2ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I'm thinking it was just a dodgy fish from a dodgy store that couldnt handle the rapid change in water and the trip. One of the staff members from the store actually told me, I quote, "Fish are very temperamental and will just die randomly for no reason".

Thanks jacobraven anyway, new tank syndrome sucks I guess?

New tank syndrome is completly avoidable!!! Did you cycle your tank at all??!

I find rosy barbs are ecxellent for cycling, Angels and bn cats...ah no, not very hardy imo. Cycling is a very stressful thing for fish. If your tank is uncyled a fortnighly water change will not be enough, try at least weekly.