Hennessy

Discus with red gills and a pimple?

Yellow discus belonging to my mate hasn't been eating much lately and has a weird blind pimple looking thing forming in front of its tail on one side (barely visible in pic). Lately its main dorsal fin has been diminishing slowly in shape and size (no signs of rot) and his gills surrounds look a bit reddish (slightly more obvious in pic).

Water tests indicate no ammonia and very low nitrate, Ph is just under 7 and the temp is around 28. Water is slightly harder than ideal, but so is all Brisbane tap water.

Sorry the pic ain't great, but has anyone got any ideas as to whats wrong with him/her?

post-3158-14711625981478_thumb.jpg

That makes sense, I will treat for flukes ASAP - That wouldn't be causing the pimple like object though right? Or the Dorsal fin deterioration? Ive heard this could be Tuberculosis?

shoot dont say that out loud ,

just try daydreams advice and id say the other symptoms are stress from the fluke ? just a thaut

i agree with daydream and liljohn, increase feeding. temp and airation and treat for flukes.

a thought on the 'pimple' tho...

do you have any of the annoying snails in your tank? (melanoides tuberculata (malaysian trumpet snail?) some fish can get cystic lumps in the muscular tissue from a few species of trematodes. the most common sources for these trematode species is these snails. the eggs are ingested by the snail mature into larvae, release into the water and attach to the fish, burrow into the tissue, become cysts as they mature and wait to be eaten again to start the whole cycle over. any plants that are grown outdoors where birds can reach have the potential to transfer this disease. if ur fish gets betterh and the lump remains it could be that. doesn't usually kill the fish... though it doesn't always look pretty. keep an eye on it

tuberculosis is usually fast once you start seeing symptoms and has an open lesion...

good luck,

Lennox