after spending so much money on feeder fish from fish shops i have recently started to catch my own feeders from local freshwater creeks. I'm a bit concerned about disease and was wondering if i would be better to keep buying from shops? has anyone got any tips about getting feeder fish from creeks and maybe what solution to use to prevent them from infecting my pet fish? thanks greg

hey i also used to catch my own feeders when i had natives i feed them strait to my fish without problems even when some of the feeders had open sores that could be seen. i have also read about breeders keeping a pair of oscars they feed any diseased or deformed fish to. also there are people out there of the opinion that buying feeders from pet shops is one of the best ways of introducing disease to your tank and prefer to breed there own. but that really depends on the situation. there is a product out there designed specificly for feeding live feeders, basicly you have a seperate tank for the feeders and each time you catch a batch you put some of this product in and its suppost to kill all the fish carrying disease over a day or two then you use them. i couldnt tell you the name of the product as i have brought it, but i have seen it used and it killed around 10% of the fish and the remaining ones didnt appear to be carryng disease. so might be worth looking into.

cheers

mick

Hey mate been catching feeders from the local myself... basically what we do is keep the prettier ones in an old bath (score from the roadside cleanup) and dose it up with melafix and feed the rest to the turtles :lol: starting to breed now so shouldnt have to go down for a while!! :egrin:

I go down to my local creek and catch hundreds of tiny feeder shrimp. They are so easy to catch and the fish in my pond love them. plus, they make good scavengers for the ones that survive !

ive caught plenty of guppies from dams around kallangur/mango hill over the years, big fat ones even swordtails, bigger the net the better,theres one dam in mango hill u can catch perch on rods and get heaps of healthy feeders at the same time ;)

shane.

try below wiers heaps of natives gather there wether its over flowing or escaping through gaps etc. hardy heads, perchlets, rainbows, those kinds of things, or most successfully using those small fold up traps with most of the entrance underwater but a bit sticking out in pools separated from the main body of water caught gambusia in 100's around guppy size doing this. yes everyone should be using gambusia but i doubt i you caught 1000's in a season it would effect the amount nex tseason thier bastards.

mick