I am setting up a 6ft tank that was originally going to be for some tropheus, but I was giving a bit of wood that I can't not have on display. So I am after opinions as to what sort of mix I can have in a SA tank. Some OS BN will be going in, apart form that the only other thing I have are some guppies.

I am after some peaceful fish that will breed in a community tank.... or some really stunning fish that I can keep as a species only.

Cheers peoples

Peaceful and breeding generally don't go hand in hand for any SA species.

If you're chasing species only I would look at Eartheaters (Geophagus sp., etc.), some can even be kept with smaller tetra species for a full community setup. If you want the bigger, "more American" species I'd look at Heroines (Heros sp., Hypselecara sp.). Can also look at dwarves but very carefully research which are compatible with the larger species. Apistogramma sp, Nannacara sp, Laetacara sp, and Cleithracara maronii are all popular dwarf species though the first two genera will perhaps be on the small side for a Cichlid community.

All are generally peaceful but cichlids will be cichlids, however if you find a combination that works you shouldn't run into too many issues - until they start breeding.

Japes as always your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I understand the SA temprement does not leas them to being overly compatiable (in general), but was just wondering if its possible.

Most likley I think i will be looking at some BN and 1-2 pairs fo something in the 6ft.

I will look into the suggestions though.

Cheers