DVS969

Wine Barrel Pond

My old mans Bday is comin up and he wants to put a pond in his garden but wants to use something that is above ground and fits in with theme of his yard, Was thinking of making him one out of a half wine barrel, Just wanted to see if AI could just use some sort of sealer to waterproof it rather than a liner, Only reason don't want to use liner is cause it will have to come up over the edges and the old man don't like that unless there some sort if glue anyone knows of that i could use to stick the liner into the barrel, Any feedback would be awesome.

Yeah but once you cut them they lose their watertightness, Plus id be worried about the wine leaching out of the wood and making the fish swim crooked, lol

Think the aquarium silicon will be the best bet, Even if it don't work ill just peel the silicon out but I reckon it should do fine. Cheers Hawk

Thanks for the input guys.

Most wine barrels should still be waterproof...but will need a good cleaning(3-4 times) to remove any alcohol residue...If you have small gaps in the barrel pieces...apparently soak it fully submerged for a week..the natural timber stretches making it airtight after this...or use non toxic liquid rubber for sealing ponds etc...Ive been chasing Ames blue max recently and it looks the goods...

I've got a couple at my place that had red wine in them and all i did was fill them, then leave for the wine to leach out of the wood for a couple of days. Emptied then refilled and left for a couple of weeks and they were fine.

Got crimson spots in one and the frogs took over the other so I just left it and we have loads of frogs always has taddies in one crimsons breed in the other. So no probs with mossies. Just planted some water lillies in pots in them and away we went.

Had them for four years now and no probs, just have to top up the water every couple of weeks if no rain.

Just made sure when i got mine that the gaps in the wood were only near where they were cut and no more than 50-100mm down. No sealer or anything

Fish breed in one, frogs breed in other, misses and grandkids love em

Nev

I know the one I have definately isn't airtight but I might give the soaking a go to swell the timber and gonna look into the liquid rubber too but i think that might be a bit dear for my budget from the prices on ebay.

Seriously what everyone here has said is bang on. No need for any sort of sealent ave your dough. I did two barrels for my parents farm. Broached one end , stuck a rubber bung in the side hole and soak for a couple of days. 6 years on and they are as good as gold. Just let them do what they are designed to do, swell and hold.