japes

Dedicated "Full Tank Shot" Thread

No background on the tank, there was just no light on in the room behind it. The reason there is no background is that the tank divides two rooms, so although the view from the back of the tank isn't great, its better then nothing i figure.

In an ideal world I would like like a deeper width tank so I could stack them all up in the center and make it more symmetrical and good to look at from both sides. But in the real world I have to make do with what I've got. :urgh:

And yes, I think it took about 2 hours the first time i put the rocks in. Now it just annoys me (i have taken them out a few times to do big gravel vacs and clean the glass) so i have it down to a fine art of just placing them in at random and it takes about 15 mins or so.

No eggcrate underneath them, so my fish live in constant fear of death by falling rock... I am trying to intimidate them out of digging. :lol:

But in all seriousness I haven't had any fish crushed, or issues with rocks falling down and doing damage. When they do fall or slip which isn't often, there's that many in there that they just land on more rocks, they seem to support each other so to speak.

Thanks, I should have waited it was still clearing up there. The two big plants are amazon swords, they're new so I didn't grow them to that size. I'm just running twin 3ft T8's, no fertilizer except fish poo and no Co2 I just stick to easy to care plants like swords, java ferns etc.

Cheers

Chris

cool, i have one of them in my tank as well but its not that big though? it is starting to reddish leaves, i think thats because the lighting is too intense?

i have a two foot light with a 6700k bulb and a double 4foot light with the tubes that came with it(who knows what they are?)

Sounds good. I have found that my anubias are growing well where other plant types are withering, I think they have a lower light requirement and I am not providing enough light for the other plants.

Ryan

yeah mate anubus doesnt really need any light for it to stay alive but that doesnt mean it will grow very fasat either, i have two anubus, one crypt

and three java fern, as well as the sword plant and all seem to be doing quite fine and growing quite well, i also have some hair grass as well but i

dont see it change at all. if your after some more low light plants have a look at this site http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list

it shows you the plants that need high lighting or dont need light much and which are hard to keep ect..

what other plants do you have?

Just finished a major overhaul on my 4ft tank - new stand, driftwood and light - so I thought I'd share it here. The light has three different combinations, so I got a picture of each:

P9110717.jpg

P9110719.jpg

P9110721.jpg

Currently the tank has six Yoyo Loaches, two Blue Rams and one large male Bristlenose. Can't really see any of the fish because they're all pretty small right now. :lol:

Hi again,

I know these aren't the best photos, but I guess it gives a fair idea of my setup. Here are photos of my 6ft setup (black) and 8ft setup (stained timber).

Cheers,

Nige

6ft001.JPG

8ft001.JPG

Hey mate,

Love what you have done with the 6 footer, the background really adds to the overall appeal. Nice job. I wish I could suspend lights from my ceiling (hard when you're renting!)

Ryan

Hey mate,

Love what you have done with the 6 footer, the background really adds to the overall appeal. Nice job. I wish I could suspend lights from my ceiling (hard when you're renting!)

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. The 6ft background is a commercial latex version that i got when I bought this tank back in 2002. I really am not a fan of the fake tree roots on the far left of the tank, but the fish seem to like it. I'll probably take it out and try to sell it, and replace it with a rock.

I only just finished the ceiling lights job (I've been on holidays). After a few hours crawling around in my roof and trying not to imitate a 6ft drop bear crashing through the ceiling, I finally finished it. Up close it is a bit rough, but it is very solid and I reckon it looks ok.

Hey Nige,

looks pretty good from what I can see. I guess the only pain would be if you wanted to move the tanks, I suppose you could easily unhook them, you'd just have hooks in the ceiling :lol:

I think your fish like the piece on the left because it looks like it provides good shelter. Try replacing it with something else that provides good shelter also :)

All the best

Ryan

hey QLDR, are both those pics of the same tank at different times? or just two different tanks?

i love the first pic with the whole tank full of Anubus(im guessing?), they look so healthy, any tips on getting some good growing Anubus?

are the earth eaters in there?

yeah mate I reckon you're spot on with the comment re: providing cover. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something more natural that will fit the bill.

As for moving the tanks, in 7 years my work ensured I carted that six footer from Brisbane to Townsville to three different houses in Mackay and to two places on the Sunshine Coast before I finally got to buy this house. :urgh:

I PROMISED MYSELF I WILL NEVER MOVE LARGE TANKS AGAIN :lol::lol:

I only got the 8 footer in early March and mate, as far as I'm concerned, they are both there to stay!!!

Nice looking tanks Nige and QLDR.

QLDR is that an 8 footer? It looks like it. What sort of lights are you running in the second photo with the eartheaters in it?

hey QLDR, are both those pics of the same tank at different times? or just two different tanks?

i love the first pic with the whole tank full of Anubus(im guessing?), they look so healthy, any tips on getting some good growing Anubus?

are the earth eaters in there?

They are different tanks willy, top ones a 6x2x2 bottoms 8x2x2. Tips for anubais?... i only run the lights for a few hours a night rest of the time the rooms quite dark and i chuck in a bitta flourish once a week or so.

Nice looking tanks Nige and QLDR.

QLDR is that an 8 footer? It looks like it. What sort of lights are you running in the second photo with the eartheaters in it?

The bottom one is, bottom tank lights are double Hagan 4fts, bulbs have one Marine GLO and 1 Power GLO in each unit.

[

. I really am not a fan of the fake tree roots on the far left of the tank, but the fish seem to like it. I'll probably take it out and try to sell it, and replace it with a rock.

I only just finished the ceiling lights job (I've been on holidays). After a few hours crawling around in my roof and trying not to imitate a 6ft drop bear crashing through the ceiling, I finally finished it. Up close it is a bit rough, but it is very solid and I reckon it looks ok.

Love the suspended lights too... but why dont you replace the fake root with a real mangrove root? Would look preety damn good I recon.

Lovely tank Keith, your Tapajos look like they're glowing.

Had to rework the 5' display after I had a few problems with Driftwood (documented in the Technical/Products section).

full.jpg

fullcrop.jpg

Very pleased with it at the moment.

Nice tank setup Japes. love the piece of drift wood on the left where did u score that from.