ashman01

Cheapest place to buy BULK live rock on the coast

Hey, just bought my new 4x2x2 and i need to stock it with live rock.

At retail thats about $600 worth of live rock which is abit expensive. I can get uncured live rock for about $10 a kg (which will cost me $400 in total) but i was wondering if anywhere do it cheaper. or have cured stuff for a tiny bit more.

Thanx Ash

hey,

$10 a kilo, thats cheap, where from???

You could cut corners by using up to 2/3 dead rock. I picked up about 80kgs for $50 on RTAW. It dosn't come up that often tho.

Wholesaler/ if i make a special order and im pretty sure its only in $200 lots.

Dont really/not going to cheat as i am planning to spend alot in the long run (corals and expensive fish) so i dont want to cut corners this early on.

go into either mermaid or aquariums etc and ask them whether they will do a bulk lot at a cheaper price. The best live rock i got was from aquariums in paradise such good quality rock.

But you will find that you can use base rock or enviro rock (which the guy at aquariums etc actually makes) and it will become live again - once you put actual live rock in too - the dead rock just doesnt have the bacteria in it but it grows rapidly and then dead rock can become live. Of course good water quality and filtration helps.