Problem:- strange fungus/unknown stuff growing in gravel and on glass. its sort of like a thick mucusy, webby, membrainy stuff, looks very weird.. there should be a photo attached of the gravel from 2 weeks ago before i did a complete change over..

Ph:- 7.2

Ammonia:- 0ppm

Nitrate:-0ppm-5ppm

Nitrite:- 0.25ppm

Gh:-

Kh:-

Size of tank:- 3ftx15inx18in

Temperature °C:- 26

Been running for:- had been running for at least 8 months, noticed this growth 2 weeks ago. scrubbed out everything, new gravel was added, as i didnt wanna run the risk of there being any little bit left in the tank to start growing again, glass was scrubbed etc. i just noticed tonight it has come back!!!! grrr....

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- internal filter OTTO PF-400N (400LPH)

Fish in tank:- glass catfish x2, head and tail light tetra x5, golden gourami x2, kuhli loach x2, bristle nose juvies x10 about 2cm, cherry shrimp x10ish, small half beaks x3

Plants in Tank:- anubia, val, hair grass, chain sword (which seem to be dying off), java moss on drift wood, banana lilly, java fern

Feeding:- What food and How often.. algie wafers and tropical fish food pellets neither have a brand.. usually every second day.... i thought over feeding may have been the problem so i started feeding every 3rd day since the full change. But its come back!!

Recent Medication Treatments:-

Last water change:-5-6 days ago about 20%

Water change every fortnight

Does anyone know what it is? whats causing it? and how to get rid of it??

cheers

Megan

post-6151-14711626043806_thumb.jpg

shall add some salt and see if that helps..

i'm using aged dechlorinated town/tap water. Never had this problem in any of my tanks before.

If i'm doing something to cause it i would like to know. it seems to be growing in the same spot in the tank as last time even though setup has been changed.

do you know what it's called? what causes it? how to avoid it in the future?

cheers

Megan

wow thats some funky shiz, try blacking out the tank and putting in some multicure - and have fingers crossed its mostly photosynthetic.

It could also be some sort of fungus decomposing the plants that are dying off. btw 100% water changes and srcubbing out everything isn't a great idea, you should only take out 70% of water max and clean the gravel a few days afterwards.

Michael

Edited by frinkie