i recently bought a lion fish from aquarama. he's about 16cm. i didn't have enough money on me to buy some aquarium salt, so i ducked into coles and got some picnic salt. he was going quite alright so i put in my clownfish and my eel.

my question is, have u guys tried this? this is a really good idea, saves u a lot of money and gud for the fish.

why would you buy a fish without having a suitable home for it thats just stupid,spend money on ya tank first instead of going and buying fish and say oh **** i got no money ill just grab some salt wack it in a tank and throw the fish in.feel sorry for your fish

would u rather them have no salt, i talked to my uncle whos a marine biologist and he said it's fine. he has like 6 royal gramma's, he uses the black and gold brand salt from woolworths. his fish have been swimming for a few hours fine.

u think i'd throw them in there without knowing what i'm doing

your having a laugh arnt you fishkiller? is this someone being stupid on a setup account.. regardless, your uncle cant be a marine biologists for the reasons being:

if he says its fine to put your fish into table salt from the supermarket then hes WRONG.

most salts from the supermarkets may contain anti caking agents etc and almost all of them contain Na and.... THATS IT!

take some water from the ocean and you will find countless trace elements such as magnesium, strontium, silicon, calcium and a **** load more.

all of this leads to BUFFERING. keeping your water perimeters roughly in the ball park.

its like taking the H2 out of the H20 for us humans.

the only thing gud fo rthe fish is if you take them back and if you dont keep fish anymore read a book and get the right info on them before you get something you have no idea about

your having a laugh arnt you fishkiller? is this someone being stupid on a setup account.. regardless, your uncle cant be a marine biologists for the reasons being:

if he says its fine to put your fish into table salt from the supermarket then hes WRONG.

No hes not, people have done it for many many years. As long as the salt is refined salt and not iodised it will be fine. Rock salt for example is not good. Aquarium salt as it is normally packaged is nothing special at all.

most salts from the supermarkets may contain anti caking agents etc and almost all of them contain Na and.... THATS IT!

Thats is all that is needed, And anti caking agents are by no means dangerous chemicals. Although I would avoid them myself, they will not harm the fish.

Common caking agents by number:

E341 Tricalcium Phosphate

E460(ii) Powdered cellulose

E500 Sodium bicarbonate

E535 Sodium ferrocyanide

E536 Potassium ferrocyanide

E538 Calcium ferrocyanide

E542 Bone phosphate

E550 Sodium silicate

E551 Silicon dioxide

E552 Calcium silicate

E553a Magnesium trisilicate

E553b Talcum powder

E554 Sodium aluminosilicate

E555 Potassium aluminium silicate

E556 Calcium aluminosilicate

E558 Bentonite

E559 Aluminium silicate

E570 Stearic acid

E900 Polydimethylsiloxane

take some water from the ocean and you will find countless trace elements such as magnesium, strontium, silicon, calcium and a **** load more.

All of these are contained in tap water. Any NOT in aquarium salt. If anything you would buy a bottle of liquid etc that contains trace elements needed.

all of this leads to BUFFERING. keeping your water perimeters roughly in the ball park.

Any small trace elements trapped in the aquarium salt will NOT buffer. If a buffer is needed you will need to add that separately as well.

Oh, I should mention thou, I do not condone the adding of freshly bought fish to a new tank at all.

im surprised its alive,i just don't get why he bought it, must either be rich or silly,oh he carnt be rich he said he didnt have enough money to buy salt from lfs that's why he went to coles. THAT POOR POOR FISH!!! SLOWLY DIEING!!

with the $100 or more it cost for the lion fish he should have got a bottle of prime,ph test kit and a couple convicts or guppies.

He wouldn't be the first new comer to make the mistake of adding a fish to a new tank thou. Can't beat him up too much, as long as hes learning a lesson listening to the advice given in this forum.

I would suggesting testing your water if you have a test kit. If you don't have a test kit then its prob best to return the fish now and get whatever cash you can for it before it dies and you get nothing back. The fish could live for ages with high ammonia and nitrite, but in the end it will die before its time. Don;t make the mistake a lot of people make and say .. "its alive and active, I must be doing something right". Instead listen and learn would be my advice.

Haha, I am assuming you think I am someone else.

I haven't been an online fish keeper since back when the net began it feels like heh. Just getting back into the forums of late to pass the time and improve my knowledge which is always good for the soul.

The only bad thing about this.......... is that fishkiller is my old online username.

Something old salts here might remember from the drumpak days lol

heck this picture is hosted from my fishkiller photobucket account

:D

PIC02556.jpg

that said

trying to keep marine fish

and not using actual MARINE SALT

is stupid and cruel

this fish will live just as long in total freshwater

as it will in water with some sodium chloride added

and that

is not very long at all.