Evening Everyone,

A few months back I purchased 5x larger Black Calvus from Smiths, Mark estimated them to be around 2.5yrs old (therefore close to breeding). Now Im looking to breed them and have a few questions.

Is it neccessary to keep a few shellies like multis etc as a dither?

Whats everyone find to be the best tank layout for them?

Im having trouble sexing them, I know the biggest fella with a notch on his nose is male due to his personality but the other 4 arent as easy, I think theres possibly 3 males out of the 5 but it could be 2. The whole slightly humped brow thing doesnt really give much of a clear indication......

Males will get larger and usually have a higher forehead and are generally deeper in body and finnage will be longer, your females will tend to stay more streamlined and shaped somewhat like a torpedo and will be smaller also.

i used to bred mine in a 2ft tank, 1 male to 2 females defined territories on either side, and he would spawn on n off with each female, barnacle clusters are most favoured or large enough shells for the female to get into but not allowing the male to fully enter, she will use her body to create a vacum to fertilise the eggs.

The bubs are large, but slow growers,

HTH's Mr Crajode :)

i find if u want to breed these guys keep away from heavily rocked aquaria, its a nightmare trying to get them out!!!!!

live brine they go nuts over, and i actually used to use guppies as dithers, they love the fry. (only to condition the parents) watch the guppies if u spawn the altos, they will predate!