Hi Everyone,

My name is Terae and i've just got my first tank which is 2ft.. I'm at Caboolture and have always found fish fascinating to watch so it's time for me to enjoy them at home.

In my tank i have b/nose, pleco and albino cat fish all about 3cms.. 1 e yellow 4cm, 1 tangerine peacock 4cm and blue dolphin 5 cms... they are beautiful and look great together.

I'd like some tips on maintenance please.

Cheers

Terae

Hey, and welcome.

I find the easiest way to setup a tank is to whack a canister filter on it and just leave it.

Every week just do a 25% water change and then once every month or 2 (depending on how many fish) clean the filter media.

Dont no if this is the 100% correct method but it has been working for me and my 4foot for nearly a year.

You can pick up a canister filter for as little as (to my knowledge) 90$ for a 1000lph.

Hey again,

Thanks for the tips guys...

I am running a Aqua One power liquid filter 400lph. Am hoping to get myself a 4ft and 6ft soon as i'd love to get some fronnys in the big one.

I am looking forward to a long lasting future in fish keeping :D

Any ideas with filter etc for the 4 & 6ft tank would greatly be appreciated..

Another thing i am curious about is with the water restrictions and the filling of new tanks... Is it possible to order water and if so is it treated the same as town water?

Look forward to your replies..

I've heard somewhere (might have read on the qld water people site) that water restrictions do not cover things like fish tanks etc, mind you, im not 100% sure on that.

My cannister filter on my 6fter hasnt been cleaned since the day i got it and its doing fine. just going on 3 months now i think, gonna give it a clean next week though to be on the safe side.

fish recommendation: get americans not africans :P

I talked to the Council about water restrictions today and they advised me INSIDE Aquariums are exempt if they are filled from an internal tap

IE You cant use the hose from outside

Brad

So you have to use a bucket or wedge a hose over the spout of an internal tap ?

Yup thats what they told me

I was enquiring about the shop and what i was and wasnt allowed to do

They said Aquariums are exempt if filled from an inside source

I really dont know the difference between the tap inside and the tap outside

Another weird rule from when you were allowed to use a buicket to wash the car

Your not allowed to use the hose to wash your car

Though you can use a bucket

So if you have a pressure cleaner that uses a pick up from a bucket you were allowed to run the tap straight into the bucket not using a hose and then run the pressure cleaner from the bucket

Makes no difference to the water used but technically legal

Brad

Gees that could make filling a decent sized tank rather time consuming... Would it be because outside taps have more pressure than inside ones? Just a thought. But i don't see the difference, but that's councils for you. :wink:

Just filled my 430L tank up with tap water. Now that i think about it. Its ironic that i filled a tank up with perfectly good drinking water and then added $110 of salt to it to make it like a ocean. When the world is 70ish% ocean.

Hi all,

I live in the Gold Coast City Council area. I rang the council re water changes for my fish tanks. Was told it's ok to fill using hose from outside tap. The guy said they ask questions if you use over 800 litres per day. They read your water meters every 3 months. I checked my last rate notice and i pay$1.16 per kilolitre for water. Would be interested to know if people in other council areas pay the same.

Cheers,

Brian.

Am curious , how long did it take you to fill your 430lt tank and how did you do it? What size tank is it ?

What are you planning on keeping in the tank?

Terae

It took quite a while. Didnt time exactly how long id take a guess at 10mintues but it could of been quicker or longer. The tank is a 4x2x2 and it is going to have marine in it. Its a bit bare atm as i am saving up to finish setting it up. Need $400 for the live rock, $100 for the skimmer and $100 for the light globes.

Hi Brian

When did you ring council about it?

I know it doesnt sound right but councils have a pretty track record of silly rules

I had to ring to find out exactly what the restrictions mean for my shop and my customers with level 5

Brad

Hey,

I visited the Queensland Water Commission website and it does state that they will investigate if your water usage is over 800 lt per day and if so deemed wastage they will assess then may restrict your outside tap usage.

And i don't see the difference in using indoor or outdoor taps the usage would be the same.

But this is a perfect example of Government agencies at their best.. a different story every time you ring and chat to a different operator..

Cheers

Terae

Hey,

I visited the Queensland Water Commission website and it does state that they will investigate if your water usage is over 800 lt per day and if so deemed wastage they will assess then may restrict your outside tap usage.

What about the people who are using thousands of litres a day and nothing happens to them. There was an article in the paper recently showing figures of over 30,000 litres a day!!! And the government had done nothing about it?!?!?!?!?

Yet we will probably go over by 100 litres and the storm troopers will be kicking down the doors!

I read in one of the local papers that the top 10 water users in brisbane/gold coast area are all businesses and they use about 70% of the total water used by everyone.

Of those 10 the top business is a fertilizer company that uses the water to treat the fertilizer.

Can anyone see the irony in a fertilizer company making products to keep plants alive and in doing so is killing the same plants that its products are produced to help.

Im pretty sure i read it in the bullion about 3 months ago.