smicko

PEACEMAKER IN AMERICAN TANK ?

looking for ideas for a peacemaker for my 4ft american tank. it currently houses 3 flowerhorns 6-9cm, red devil 9cms, 3 jags 5-7cm, 3 jack dempseys 5-7cms. i was thinking of a brasiliensis as i have used these before. ( i would put a 15 -18cm one in) but was wondering if there are any other suggestions . i also want to put a couple of polleni in there when i find them

thanks mick

Hey mate, I had a Pollenni with some americans for a while, he got real nasty when he got bigger, and just didn't really fit in with the americans, could have just been the individual though. I've found an Oscar can be a great peacmaker, if it decides to.

hi all thanks for advice keep it coming. there is alot of angy fish in there but they seem to get along and their is heaps of caves/rocks and stuff for them to have there own space. but as they get bigger the best looking ones will go into a bigger display tank and the rest will get sold

cheers mick

there is alot of angy fish in there but they seem to get along and their is heaps of caves/rocks and stuff for them to have there own space.

cheers mick

this doesnt sound entirely true... otherwise u wouldnt be looking for a "peacemaker"...

Honestly too small a tank for that amount of agro fish and with time it will only get worse.. the Flowerhorns and possibly the Red Devil will smash everything else thats in there, and the poor JD's will cop the biggest hiding and will end up being shy and flighty fish,if not dead... JD's arent very agro in that type of situation... they only become testy when breeding.. The other problem that may come up is slow growth rate... the more fish u cram into a tank, the slower they will grow..

It may look all fine and dandy now, but that will change before u know it.. I suggest either, getting rid of the not so desired fish u have in there... adding another tank, or getting a bigger tank for them all to growout in...

just my 2 cents...

Jay

hi all my main reason for wanting a peace keeper is that the biggest flowerhorn (12cm now i measured it) is a wuss but figured it wont take long for him to change but after the advice from here and other people have decided to get rid of flower horns and devil any ideas on more peaceful americans i like geos but dont think they will go with jags. what if i was to have 1 jag, 2 dempseys and a couple of geos. i will get a bigger tank before getting any more fish for that display just chasing ideas

thanks mick

Hey Mick..

thats a bad idea too.. lol.. sorry.. Geo's being among the more placid yank types, will not survive with Jags.. they could possibly live with JD's ok..

now, if u were to get rid of the Jags to opt for a more peaceful style tank... Geo's are a good option along with Chocolates, Severums, JD's, Firemouths and a range of others.. this will not get rid of small bouts of squabbling, but will not have the violence that your current fish can inflict on tank mates..

feel free to pm me with questions on some of these fish, as i have kept alot of them over time.. there are quite a few other forum members who have/or still do keep these types..

Hope that helps a lil... cheers

Jay

if you are going to run with the jags and dempsey i would consider a bigger tank, even and 4x2 is too small for more than one adult jag unless they are a pair and if you had a breeding pair of jags then the jack dempsey would last all of 2.3 seconds. You have to keep in mind that jags will get very large so anymore than one will cause you problems. As has been suggested i would select the nicest of each species and that is all, male aswell for the better colours. As for a peace maker oscars are very good at attitude adjustment aswell i have found larger snooks work well too.

Alot of people write Red Devils off as a fish smasher... Not all are like that and are quite often stereo typed. Our 35cm Red Devil will rarely eat feeder fish and lives with baby frontosa, kribensis and 2 red tail sharks - oh and 2 3cm Peps :esup: he'll chase them occasionally but never touches them.

It does read a nasty tank though :) bet its fun watching your tank at feeding time!

OK... heres where the dilemna starts.. A Red Devil can be a very placid fish as mentioned, untill theres a fish in with him of similar size... he see's that fish as a threat and will begin the fishy pumbling..

so in Ikola's case, his Red Devil clearly doesnt have competition..

Now i only say Red Devil because that is the fish in question right now... but that goes for all fish of the same type... Flowerhorns, Jags, Festae, Salvini and so on..

If anything, i think the Flowerhorns would be worse.. Attitude of a Red Devil, the shape of an underwater Bear and the mouth of Croc... awww look at the pretty colours... **munch**...

ok, i'm clearly rambling... i'm off to take a nap...

Putting a peacemaker in there is like sending peeps on a peacekeeping mission to iraq - doomed to failure as too many hotheads.

Check out this linky.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01019.htm

I think most flowerhorns can be a bit wussy - but being a mixed mongrel you really can never tell what they are going to be like behaviour wise.

One thing I read is that big americans the male tends to set up a territory while the female cruises around the lake. When she passed through a males territory he tries to get her attention - if she is unresponsive she is moved along so that the next female can come along.

Problem in a tank is nowhere for her to go to - so she gets beaten and this is normal big american behaviour.